I love my Buckeyes!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Apr 2, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    They are only four days old and trying to fly it is hysterical. One keeps doing "belly slams" into the water bottle; I think he is trying to get on top! They have a totally different personality than anything I have had before, extremly outgoing and active. Everytime they start to run around they first pop straight up a few inches, so when 25 do it at once they look like popcorn. My kids are calling them "popcorn chicken" like KFC.

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I think this explains why Buckeye chicks are as scarce as hens' teeth this year... lol

Sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to get my own peeps in the brooder! [​IMG]

3. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    I've been reading a lot about these- I think they will be on my chicken "wish list" soon . I've heard and read that they have very different personalities than a lot of chickens. [​IMG]

4. eschwaderer

eschwaderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that's who I got them from!
    So their new thing to day is . . . if they hear a noise like a cough or something; first they (ALL OF THEM) pop up like popcorn, then they run in circles for about 15 seconds then they throw themselves on the floor and dont move, don't even blink like freeze tag. everyone is roaring laughing! I've never had chicks like this.

6. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:Good thing I got mine last year! [​IMG] Wish that neighbor dog hadn't killed one of my hens though! [​IMG] Also wish my rooster was the king roo, so far the barred rock is getting all the action! My buckeye roo apparently tried to defend his killed hen. He was damaged in the tail area, seems to be doing well now though. Tough little guy!

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    My Buckeye chicks did the same thing. I have three of them that are about 8 weeks old and 5 of them 6 weeks old. They are always the first ones to approach anyone entering their coop area. They will come up and rub against your leg to get some attention. My three year old loves to go out and hand feed them treats. They truly do have a unique personality. We have named the biggest rooster "Brutus". I hope Ohio State doesn't come after me for copyright enfridgement. lol

8. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    I love when they all fall asleep while standing, it's like they are sloooooowly sinking in quicksand. I am very happy that you guys are enjoying the chicks as much as you are, they really only get better from here, they will soon be your favorite breed, I promise.

9. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Well, I sure like my 5 even though I didn't get them from Dave. Mine logved to bump chests as chicks, too.

10. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Okay, do I really need another breed on my I NEED list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by