I love my chicken in Richmond, CA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bockbockmeow, Aug 29, 2013.

1. bockbockmeow

bockbockmeow New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    I'm new here and I need help desperately! If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful.

My boyfriend found a chicken wandering around the neighborhood which is very near the Chevron refinery. We've had her a couple of months now and she seemed fine until maybe 2 or 3 days ago. That's when I noticed that she was really hot. She likes for me to pick her up and walk around with her. She lays her head on my arm and falls asleep. She squawks terribly when I put her back down. Actually, she throws a fit! She has a hard lump in her crop, too. She's had diarrhea off and on the last few days as well., I thought she might be depressed being the only chicken in an all cat neighborhood but I'm already pushing it with my landlord. However unexpectedly Chic-Chic came into my life, I just couldn't bear losing her! Please help me be a good chicken-mom and help me figure out what's wrong with her.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

ill see if i can find a couple of links to try and help.

1 person likes this.
  3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
  4. bockbockmeow

bockbockmeow New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Awesome! Much appreciated, loveourbirds. I just bought the For Dummies book and I'm paying almost double to get it here by Saturday. I want my Chic-Chic to be as healthy and happy as possible.

5. bockbockmeow

bockbockmeow New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Ha! Don't be sorry! Iam a dummy at this point!Ain't no shame in my game. I lived on a farm as a kid but that was a long time ago and it's different in the city. I'm working on educating myself, though.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Before the book arrives try posting in detail on "Emergencies, diseases, illness, cures." thread She may have worms or parasites etc. causing the diarrhea. Her crop may be hard because she just ate.

You say she is hot, are you in a hot area or do you mean she feels feverish? If the weather is too much for her, she needs a lot of shade and her water changed often and some ice put in it. You could also give her some watermelon to help cool her off

1 person likes this.
  7. bockbockmeow

bockbockmeow New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Well, signing out. I'll check back tomorrow. Ciao!

8. bockbockmeow

bockbockmeow New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Drumstick Diva! I almost missed your post! Yes, she is feverish I think. I don't know what normal chicken temp is. She also seems to have a stuffy nose. I am curious about parasites in chickens and wonder if they are communicable to humans. Anything you'd like to share on this would be

9. bockbockmeow

bockbockmeow New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Welcome. OK, I really must sign out now. Ciao!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Hope your bird is feeling better soon! Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by