I love my chickens but not sure I did the right thing by getting them

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimbymarie, Sep 19, 2011.

1. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Hello, I need to vent a bit. You may think I'm weird and I don't have a back bone. I think getting my chickens may have been the wrong thing to do. The reason being I love them and worry about them to much and I realize that. I have this tendency to treat my animals as if they were my kids. As far as the chickens go they are so sweet, they are buff orpingtons and they are so friendly, and love my attention. Now with winter coming, I'm stressing about the cold and the care of them in tons of snow. I know they are cold weather hardy birds and I've read all the post on don't heat, some do heat, I have a tendency to feel the no heat is the proper way to go, but I find it hard to deal with. My husband keeps saying to me, Kim they have all those feathers, just because your cold does not mean they are. The joy of keeping my chickens is diminishing due to my worrrying about them all the time. I've even talked to my husband about giving them away and I know I can't because I would be to worried that no one would care for them like I try to do. [​IMG] I also dont let them roam around in the outside then wehn I'm not there. There coop pen is completely preditor proof. Thanks kim

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Just to make you feel better I will suggest you get them a bale of straw to curl up in. If your lil chicken coop is drafty, put a dog kennel in there with straw to cut the draft.

Actually they will be fine, but if it makes you feel better, knit some booties for their lil toesies lol!

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    With this post I must ask if you want comments that are true or ones that soothes your feelings. The truth can be so cruel and the other does no good at all.

By the way, I do like your chickens. Those are some of the sweetest I've seen. You have a nice setup too.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It looks like you are taking very good care of them of course. This is your first year with chickens right? So you are sort of like a first time mother, and you are worrying about whether you are making all the right decisions. But moms don't always make the right decisions every time and neither do chicken owners and usually the kids and the chicks turn out okay. Chickens are pretty resilient, so they can thrive even if you are not perfect. The good news is that the cold weather in Massachusetts is NOT going to hurt Buff Orpingtons. So don't be too hard on yourself. More chickens probably suffer from heat than from cold, so you made it through the summer with them, you can make it through the winter with them. Every time you find yourself worrying so much remind yourself that you have done your research and you are providing for them just fine. It will get easier once you have made it through all the seasons with them probably. I don't use a heat lamp in my hen's coop and they did okay. They even go out into the run on pretty cold days.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote:In this case from the sounds of it your chickens are safe and honestly a coop with out awfuly big drafts and making sure their water is not frozen is what the chickens need. If you told me you let them roost in the trees I would tell you the truth, to get a coop to protect them from the elements and predators.

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    They look healthy, happy, and gorgeous. Who are you fooling? You will just worry more if you re-home them. [​IMG]

I am going through the same thing - waking up in the middle of the night, worrying about predators, worrying about..... [​IMG]

I try to remind myself of things like... they are only chickens. I had a chicken sandwich for lunch. My chickens are really fortunate compared to most. [​IMG]

Keep reading, and keep your babies. [​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I second the straw bale. Heat is so much worse on them. Hang in there till you get through a full first year.
    sharon

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What beautiful chickens! You must be doing something right. I agree with your choice not to heat. They not only have lots of feathers, they have a down coat under them. Cover that (I think) open air door with some plywood for winter, and relax! And read my siggy line....

9. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I'm putting my OH through hell and black ice with this coop build. I'd like it ventilated enough but not too much so they don't get frostbite, insulated so they don't get cold, with windows so they can stay in during the day... I worry about them over winter, so I'm doing all I can to prepare (first time chicken keeper too), BUT I think that's part of the fun, isn't it? Kinda like getting the baby room ready. Once everything is done to my satisfaction and I know there is nothing more I could possibly do, I reckon I'm going to enjoy going out there on a snowy morning to check the feeder and waterer. I'm looking forward to seeing them running across the snow for the first time and see them snuggle up for an early night...

I enjoy the worrying; it means the chicken-project is never over! Kudos for caring enough to worry [​IMG]

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

scratch'n'peck :

It looks like you are taking very good care of them of course. This is your first year with chickens right? So you are sort of like a first time mother, and you are worrying about whether you are making all the right decisions. But moms don't always make the right decisions every time and neither do chicken owners and usually the kids and the chicks turn out okay. Chickens are pretty resilient, so they can thrive even if you are not perfect. The good news is that the cold weather in Massachusetts is NOT going to hurt Buff Orpingtons. So don't be too hard on yourself. More chickens probably suffer from heat than from cold, so you made it through the summer with them, you can make it through the winter with them. Every time you find yourself worrying so much remind yourself that you have done your research and you are providing for them just fine. It will get easier once you have made it through all the seasons with them probably. I don't use a heat lamp in my hen's coop and they did okay. They even go out into the run on pretty cold days.

X2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by