I love my chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenmom8, Mar 11, 2016.

1. chickenmom8

chickenmom8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    I just joined because I am constantly on this site reading up on taking care of my sweet chickens. I had a new barred rock hen hatch yesterday with issues I need help with.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the issues. What is wrong?

3. chickenmom8

Mar 11, 2016
    Welcome to BYC :frow  Sorry to hear about the issues. What is wrong?

My chicken hatched yesterday after many hard hours trying to get out. She came out at day 21 with part of her yolk sac hanging out pretty far. I cut it off, cauterized it and put sterile wash on her. She is also not really able to move. I flipped her over and her legs look uneven. I put some medical tape giving her about 1 inch to help her. She is not eating yet and im giving her water every 2 hours. She has a heat lamp over her but is very weak. [​IMG]

4. chickenmom8

Mar 11, 2016
    My chick hatched yesterday at about 2 p.m. She came out with the yolk sac unabsorbed. I went ahead and cut it off, cauterized it and sterilized it. She is not eating or drinking on her own. I am giving her water every 2 hours. She has not use the bathroom. She is very weak. I have a heat lamp over her but it seems like something may be wrong with her legs because she cannot walk. I put a little tape to hold her legs closer together to help.[​IMG]

5. chickenmom8

Mar 11, 2016
    My chick hatched about 2pm yesterday. She came out with the yolk sac unabsorbed, I had to cut it off since it was so long I thought she would pull her insides out. I cauterized it and sterilized it with wash. Her legs also seem uneven and she has not been able to walk at all.I put a piece of medical tape giving her about 1 inch in between her legs to help her with stability and strength.

If she has the energy she kind of scoots. She has yet to eat anything and I am making her drink every 2 hours. She only sleeps and seems to be breathing really hard sometimes. I have her under a heat lamp. She has also not used the bathroom but I dont see any paste on her butt but I do see if flexing alot. I am not sure what else to do.

[​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Try posting in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you got, or can you get some chick saver? That will help some, otherwise what I do is mix a raw egg yolk with a little water, just enough to make it really runny and offer that to the chick to drink. Apart from that, warmth and time and [​IMG]

8. chickenmom8

Mar 11, 2016
    No I dont have any chick saver but I will certainly try the egg yolk and water right now. I also read about mixing plain yogurt with water and feed it to the chick which I was also going to try. I appreciate the reply back.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Best of luck and keep us posted!

10. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry your little one is having a rough time. Hope things improve for her soon.

11. KoopersCoop

KoopersCoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    Chesterton Indiana
    Please keep us posted sorry to hear your little one is having problems [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by