I love my Christmas Coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pureupto99per, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Pureupto99per

Pureupto99per Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    The only thing I asked my fiance for this year was for him to build a chicken coop that I designed. We had tons of wood shelves from a bookstore that his family owns and broke those down... with the hardware and chicken wire, my coop cost about 100 usd. [​IMG]

Dimensions: 5 ft tall by 4 ft wide by 8 ft long. Three stories, eight nesting boxes, a seven ft run, top level perch, and nesting box access doors!! We plan on keeping 14 chickens in it, we have seven living in it now and they love it!! [​IMG]

The chicken run, During the day I open the doors and they have access to the whole yard, so we didnt need to make the run very huge.
    [​IMG]

The doors.
    [​IMG]

The doors opened... we still need to put in the top level nesting boxes, they'll go directly above the bottom level nesting boxes.
    [​IMG]

TREATS!!
    [​IMG]

Breakfast, my EE... at the door to the chicken run.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking everyone!!

nesting boxes. 1 ftx1ft
    [​IMG]

Door that swings open.
    [​IMG]

same door from outside.
    [​IMG]

my chickens eating apples from our tree in the run... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    What a wonderful present!!![​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    That Chicken Coop is GREAT!! [​IMG]

Good price too!! [​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Very, very nice!

5. crazyforfeatheredfriends

crazyforfeatheredfriends Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Arizona
    Great coop!! Looks like they are very happy with their present as well [​IMG]

6. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    Thanks everyone... we have seven babies (4 Delawares and 3 Australorps) waiting to be put in the coop with the others by february... [​IMG]

7. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    pretty, im jelious [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    Very nice!

Be sure to hug him!

9. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Now that is a great looking coop there! I really like how you have the multiple levels. Ver nice, ver nice! Quite a contented EE you have might I add too!

10. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    Thanks everybody!! I do love my coop and my chickens... All my friends thought I was certifiable when I told them I was having Daniel build me a coop for Christmas (i live in Orange County, not many chicken lovers here), I cant wait until my ladies start laying!

My EE's are kinda shy, but my BR's love to be picked up and pet behind the neck. The Orpington and the Cochin are really shy... But they all come running when I call. And in the morning they all come bounding into the run when I shut the back door of my house waiting for me to open the coop doors and toss bread pieces at them. I think they like me. [​IMG]

Daniel (my fiance) used to hate hate hate live chickens (years ago we used to live with a girl that had some horrid mean chickens she never took care of), but after I begged him to let me raise some he now adores them and thinks they are the sweetest things! He loves to plant stufff and has an amazing green thumb, the chickens follow him around the yard and wait for him to stir up soil they can find bugs in... they have a great symbiotic relationship... hahahaha! He said feeding chickens bread pieces in the backyard is like going to the park and feeding ducks. He's too cute. (and a great coop builder!)

Hugs to everyone!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by