I love my clothesline!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Standard Hen, May 6, 2008.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    How many hang their clothes out the old fashioned way when weather permits? I just had a new one put up, the other rope had to be about 10 years old. I basically hang my clothes out from April until October/November depending on weather and it sure save on my electric bill. I know there are housing neighborhood, they are called "associations" here they have all kinds of restrictions such as no clotheslines, no things in the yard, lawns all have to be cut the same day and look the same, I could not imagine it. They could NEVER have chickens. But a clothesline? I find it kind of un-american not to be able to have one.

[​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I must confess, I do a LOT to try and conserve energy, but one I refuse is a clothes line. I absolutely LOATHE the feel, the smell, the everything, of clothing that is line dried.

3. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    I love my clothes line!
    i have 4 lines on mine and can get at least 5 loads on it at one time.
    i have noticed that if i use vinegar instead of fabric softener the clothes are not as stiff. But it sure saves on our utility bill and the sun whitens cloth diapers and kills germs too.
    we had one when we lived in town and the clothes always had a funny odor on them, but here in the rurals things smell fresh. We use ours from march or april til oct november as well.
    thumbs up to flappin in the wind![​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I used to hang the laundry at my growing up home...I almost always managed to get a yellow jacket in my undies...[​IMG] I learned to look before putting them on.

5. Cabe

Cabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    Florida
    My Mom always used hers, we live in FL so you could use it almost year round. I now live on the world dustiest dirt road, so I would be better off to just go roll my clean laundry around in the dirt than try to hang out my clean clothes. I do however love seeing a line full of clothes blowing in the wind it, reminds me of my Grandma!

6. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Quote:I knew that there was a really good reason I never wanted to move north! lol
    My neighbor would just have to cut my grass with the way I work! Better yet, I would kill off all the grass and put down astro-turf and put in a fake weed here and there to make it look more real.....

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

The only thing I have ever liked on the line were sheets, I love that smell...I grew up with nice towels, but they were always scratchy cause they were line dried...bad memory!!

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I love my clothers line. The clothes smell so good after being in the fresh air and sunshine.

9. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    The best-clothes line dry! I've been line drying since before it was 'green'! And the towels,brisk is what I tell my children-like a spa loofa!

10. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    LOL,,,well these are the new "developements" where city people move to the country. We all hate it but of course we can and do continue to do what we always did with out livestock and horses and everything the way it always was. What happens is some big shot developer comes in and buys acres of land from an old farmer that can no longer hang onto it and pay the taxes, he gets offered big money that he can not refuse. In return the developer puts in an association which wealthy city people pay big money for. It cracks me up because we do not have trash pick-up, or street lights, or town water or sewerage. We were a small agricultural town and are fighting like mad to stop what has and is happening. All us farm people are grandfathered and if the city slickers do not like it well to bad.
    Getting back to this topic, I LOVE MY CLOTHESLINE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by