I love my little rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 20, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Well this morning started out like any other - got up made the bed went out to let the chickens out, went out to play with the dogs and than I heard the chickens all making aloud fuss- so I went back to the other yard to see a rather large white pitbull standing there - but before I had a chance to chase him off I noticed my little banty roo Clyde puff up his feathers, drop his wings.lower his head and charged the fence- that pit just stood there watching this " bite sized" rooster. Than I guess Clyde got mad and did it again - this time I stomped my foot and scared off the dog, but of course Clyde is now strutting around the yard crowing his little head off like he was the protector of the girls LOL

of course I will NEVER tell Clyde that I helped scare the beast off!!!

my boy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yay Clyde!

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    They think they're so big!

4. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    he has a very 'big boy attetiude (sp)' I guess that is what makes him my boy, I never knew banty chickens could be so much fun to bad I only have 2 right now- but that will change in the spring LOL

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh my! Please be carefull...and find the owner of that dog! Now that it knows there are chickens ...it will probably come back...and trust me...almost nothing can stop a rageing dog!

6. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well i have a pretty good idea who owns this dog - two neighbors here breed pits and they just let them roam where ever they want along with half a dozen "something or others" so for we have had no problems - but believe me i keep a watchful eye on my yard i have the chicken right up by the front door and i can see into thier yard from the couch and the bathroom window and they are always locked up in the coop when we are not home, but with clyde the fearless in the yard have no fear he will save the day LOL

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Oh that's sweet. I had to chuckle. I bet it was a riot to see him just struttin his stuff.

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    That is a bantam for ya! Small in size but big in attitude. Anyone that thinks these guys are frail and vunerable couldn't be farther than the truth. They can be the bullies of the barnyard if they want to be.

9. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Clyde has been very full of himself ever since he started to crow, he is not my first rooster I had a big white something or other that turned very mean and started attacking whenever i went in the chicken yard so I had to rehome him than I found out 4 of of my 5 banty chicks were roosters so I keep clyde but I am hoping he stays sweet and does not start attacking me like my other roo did - does anyone know if banty roo's stay nice and easy to handle? right now he still runs away when you try to pick him up which is really no big deal at least he is not running at me LOL
    right now I think he is only about 3 months old ( i think ) so i dont think he is near mating age but I am new to this whole chicken thing any ideas?

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's funny!!! Sounds like bantys are the terriers of the chicken world!!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by