I love my local dairy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Nov 7, 2011.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I recently started buying milk from our local dairy, Hildebrand Farms in Junction City Ks. Its a small local dairy with 150 cows and they grow all their own feed. They are able to process milk in a way where the cream still rises to the top, very yummy tastes just like fresh. THeir whole milk ,is what they say it is ":whole" whatever fat is in there stays in there. THey make also the best chocolate and pink milk with it, not so convinced about Rootbeer milk though. Milk keeps flavor so much better in glass bottles. And we love watch the calfs and cows out there too

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:We used to buy milk from a dairy farmer a few miles from our house when I was a kid. We'd go there int he morning before the milk truck came and get some jars of milk. Old Mr. Reynolds. We liked him. He got sick and our mom took us over to help do housework when he was dying. He was the best. We never found another dairy that we liked after he spoiled us. You can't beat meeting the farmer as he finished up milking and watching him strain the warm milk into your jars fresh from the milk pail.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Congrats! We have a local dairy like that too, DeBacker dairy . They sell their milk unhomogenized and in glass bottles (the ONLY way milk should be stored, omg). When I open a new bottle, sometimes I don't shake it on purpose so I can pour a bit of that cream into my morning coffee. But next year I'm getting some goat does, so it won't be long until I have my own fresh, raw milk to enjoy.

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    They do farm tours several times a year. They show you everything from the calf, the cows, milking system, bottling room.... . Plus its sooo much fun driving down a dirt road with the dust blowing everywhere. Their milk is the closest to fresh from the cow.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We are part of a milk share but after two years, I think I am about done with it. It is an unusual program because the farmer only provides the food and shelter, we do all the milking ourselves. We have 13 whole shares so that the cow gets milked twice a day except for Sunday when she is milked only once. Each person has a particular day and either a morning or evening shift. I LOVE the milk and am going miss it so much when I have to go back to store-bought [​IMG] , but I am just so busy with our own farm and the cow we have now is a pain in the patootie. With any luck, I will have some dairy goats on my own property soon enough and be back in fresh, raw milk!

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    when my husband retires from the Army we will either get a zebu cow or a few nubian goats. Unless i can find another great dairy farm like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by