I love my neighbor!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cantley2003, May 30, 2008.

1. cantley2003

cantley2003 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Sanford, fl
    First off, I think i have this post in the right section, hope so at least. Anyways, I just wanted to share about my great neighbor experience today with all my chicken loving friends. I live out in the country and the lot that backs up to mine is owned by an old farmer. Since we got our chickens and ducks we have talked more in the past 3 months than we have in the past 3 years. So, I was out at the coop today (avoiding housework) admiring and being entertained by my feathered friends, when Mr. Tyner ( I have no idea what his first name is, but it would almost seem wrong to call him by anything other than Mr.) walks up to the other side of the fence and we start talking. Before I know it he has given me 3 dozen eggs from his hens and duck, since mine aren't producing yet. He invites me over to his place and shows me around his garden.He gave me 3 heads of cabbage from it.he showed me his green house full of orchids over 500 of them. We talked about his girls (the hens) and his roo, who has been having a crowing competition with our boy. He joked about how his is Hoarse now from trying to keep up with King Arthur (our roo). When I had to leave, because we saw my daughters bus drive by, I was sad to have the visit end. But I'm going back tommorow to get 3 trees from him as well. It was such a perfect visit, It was what I used to crave when we lived in the suburbs. Besides everyone should have a neighbor that finds humor in the neighbors rooster crowing at 3:30 in the morning, he said his normally starts about 4AM so it just got his going a bit earlier now. So I just wanted to share my joyful visit with all of you. Have a great weekend.

Amy

2. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Well isn't that a wonderful story... 3:30 am and he's happy with it [​IMG] Can't beat that and the cabbage to boot! YOu've got a keeper in him.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great day you had! So glad you are in good with a neighbor, that likes to hear you rooster crow so early! LOL

4. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Wow. All the posts on here are usually neighbor horror story's. It's good to know there are still awesome people in the world. [​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Great story! I asked my neighbor on one side if it mattered if my chickens wandered into his yard and he asked if they would go home. I said yes each night, and he said he wasn't worried about it. I talked to my neighbor on the other side and he said if I were to get chickens it wouldn't bother him and I pointed across the way and showed him my flock in the yard. He had never noticed before! I like my neighbors too!

6. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Yes Happy Neighbor posts. Thanks for sharing your happy experience. Isn't it wonderful how oen kind gesture can make your whole day.

Here is to many many more!

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That's a great neighbor all right! You should use some of those eggs and make him some cookies. [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That is wonderful! I dearly love visiting with olders and just listening to them. Especially when they start telling their old stories....it warms my heart. I have also learned some valuable information from listening to them over the years.

Maybe he will share some of his old stories with you and then you will be truly blessed.

9. cantley2003

cantley2003 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Sanford, fl
    Quote:What a great idea! I was trying to figure out something to do for him, thanks!

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's just AWESOME!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by