I *LOVE* my neighbors!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AinaWGSD, Feb 15, 2011.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    It's been a long, crazy day. Super busy at work, got home to find that the meal we prepared in the crock pot wasn't cooked (thank goodness we had lots of leftovers in the fridge) and baby boy decided to throw a never-ending scream-fest when I took the thermometer away from him. I hadn't had a chance to check on the chickens yet this evening, and Tuesdays I don't get home at lunch so I hadn't been out to the coop since just after 7am. DH went to work before we even sat down for dinner, but he sometimes gets off after only an hour or so at work in the evenings if they're really slow, so when I saw headlights pull into the driveway I assumed it was him. Turns out it was one of our neighbors (I think the one with the yappy little rat terrier named Rascal), stopping by to tell me about my girls' adventure this afternoon! Turns out at least 4 (maybe 5) had flown over the fence into the neighbors' yards (not the one with the dog, although we can see each others' backyards his yard is fenced and doesn't actually touch our property line) and couldn't figure out how to get back in. He was nice enough to herd them into a corner and put them over the fence back into our yard! Said we'd taken such good care of them so far, he'd hate to see one laying in the road hit by a car (or the city bus). [​IMG] As soon as little man went to bed, I ran out to the coop to do a head count and close up for the night. Everyone was safe and sound on the roost. I am so going to have to send him a thank you card and a dozen eggs (just waiting on more eggs, so that all of the eggs in his thank-you carton are at least 1 1/3oz or bigger). And no more free ranging in the yard when we're not home!

2. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not that's the kind of neighbors I like! [​IMG]

3. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    that was nice lol!

my chickens will go on the porch of my neighbors house and wait for treats! my neighbors actually like it tho lol!!! (well besides my grumpy great aunt.... evne tho they never go in her yard lol!)

4. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    That's one super-cool neighbor. [​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    That is an awesome neighbor. I would give him some eggs too. [​IMG]

6. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    What a good neighbor story! I like to hear not everyone is anti chicken keeping! I'm still waiting to see what our one neighbors reaction will be when she finds out we have chickens. She probably wont give a hoot.

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Well, they did it again on Friday. Let them out to free range in the yard since I would be home all day, laid down to take a nap and when I got up and went out to do yard chores my neighbor told me my chickens were loose again! Today we clipped their wings, but as DH was herding them around trying to catch them up one at a time, we discovered how they were actually escaping! Our fence is chain link with one gate by our garage and one by our neighbor's garage actually adjacent to our house, with both garages making up part of the "fenceline" so to speak. Well, the gate by the neighbors the post that the latch attaches to leans away from the house at a bit of an angle. Just enough of an angle to make the space large enough for chickens to squeeze through it turns out. We lashed a 4x4 to the pole between the fence and the side of the house and that seems to have solved the problem. The girls were out in the yard all day and no escapes even though we stepped out to run some errands (leaving grandma home to keep an eye on things).

I have to admit, we're really lucky to live in a chicken-friendly town. The coop tour we had last spring had 4 (was supposed to be 5 but someone had something pop up last minute) coops on it and all but one of them was within a mile and a half of us, and I know of at least three more coops within the same radius that weren't on the tour. And all of our immediate neighbors seem to be very amused by the chickens. We looked out the back door this evening to see the neighbor directly behind us sitting on his back step with two kids (grandchildren? nieces? I'm not sure, there almost never seems to be anyone home and I've only talked to him once or twice) watching "chicken tv" [​IMG]

8. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Yes, it's great to have chicken-friendly neighbors! [​IMG] I have had two of the three neighbors around me come to my door and knock to say one (or more) of my hens had gotten loose, and once when I checked and found the backyard empty and went on a frantic search, the third neighbor waved and hollered, "Chickens?" and pointed-- there they were, across an acre and about to visit him! [​IMG] Needless to say, all the neighbors got thank-you eggs. I have my yard fenced, but my hens seem to be very clever about finding the little gaps (like the one you describe)... now whenever they are free-ranging in the back yard, I can't help myself - I check out the window and if I can't see them, I go out to check the part of the yard I can't see from my various windows. I hate that "empty nest" feeling!! [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:x2! [​IMG]

10. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Nice neighbor. Nice living in. Area where people are kind like that. I know my area is like that. When my son got hurt, and I refused to leave the hospital all the nieghbors got together took care of my horses and chickens and dogs. It was several days before I would even leave to eat outside of the hospital and when I came home everyone was happy and well cared for. That included my other two kids. We are blessed and nowadays we forget kind people like that are out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by