I LOVE my new Mantis tiller!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thechickenchick, Apr 21, 2009.

1. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    We sold our Troy Built Tiller on Craigslist so we could buy this Mantis. It is a fantastic little thing! It does everything they say it does. It really is light enough to carry around the yard. It also works the ground really well, much better than our big heavy-duty tiller did.

Plus we got a heck of a deal. We bought our TB tiller used last year for $100. Then we sold it for $450, just enough to pay for the Mantis.

It work awesome for tilling up the chicken run and is small enough that i can do it and don't have to ask DH. (Although he would say yes!)

I just wanted to post this in case someone is thinking about getting one. They are well worth it!! [​IMG]

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    don't know if you bought it from a dealer or not but an Echo dealer can get parts for it when you need them.

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Wow you scored. I'd love to get a tiller. Luckily I have a friend that let's us use hers. I hate borrowing. But last year I asked her if husband would mind helping up pick up a rental (it wouldn't fit in my husbands work van). Her reply was "use ours, we don't do a garden any more so we just let our friends use it instead". Next year we are gonna try getting a truck, then maybe a tiller.

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have had a Mantis for 15 years, and I agree it is great for it's size.

5. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    wow $450 for a weedeater with a tiller attachment, I'm not knocking what the mantis can do but I think that is way expensive for a tiller that small.

6. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Thanks for the info! We bought it on-line. Extra bonus FREE shipping!!

SarahBeth That's great that you can borrow one. You are lucky to have friends like that! We have a friend that has a post pounder we borrow about once a year. He is great! We just call and then go pick it up and put it back where we found it! He is so busy we never see him but he always says yes!

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I had one of those little tillers and I loved it. It gets right around plants. It finally died last year. I want another. I'll have to save up though. Mine was a Ryobi. Similar to the mantis.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I do like mine too. But it is not meant for large gardens. It takes too long to till considering it's size. The one advantage is I can plant veggies closer because the mantis is smaller to get in between the plants.

9. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:My DH questioned it too. After using it though he says it amazes him. It does a better job than our large tiller. He also said it is the best running 2 stroke he has ever seen.

I admit though it does seem like a lot of $. We would not have done it if we could not have sold our TB.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by