1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I love my new neighbor.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 7L Farm, Feb 15, 2012.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I live in [​IMG]the country have a hundred acres & live on top of a hill.Anyway, some developer comes in & buys the property next to me. I hate it but anyhoo that's life. Well, one day I'm cleaning some catfish on a tree. The developers foreman comes to the fence line & ask me how high does the water get here. They had put a water well in already but I told him you can't build there it will flood. Guess, they should of listened. I love my new neighbor he's a sharp guy.

2. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    OMG! That is hilarious! I am lucky. We have a 40 acre farm in a valley all to ourselves. We love it! So quiet and I don't have to worry about our rooster waking anyone up. I love the picture! I gotta show this to my husband when he gets home! He will love it! LOL! [​IMG]

3. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    Some people are so book smart that common horse sense doesn't make any sense to them. So funny 7L Farm! I just had to comment on it again!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Looks like you may have finally gotten some rain in Texas. That's good.

When I relocated to here, if we were interested in a house, we got some topographical maps and looked at them before we made an offer. I'm 40 vertical feet above creek level where I am now. I don't expect to flood here, though the road did wash in heavy rains last year.

We did not even consider a couple of nice new houses we looked at. They were built lower than the road. In a heavy rain, water would flow along the road and come down the driveway to the house. I could have done some landscaping and directed the water away from the house, but the driveway would still wash out. It would be a constant maintenance issue.

It seems like when a lot of people on this forum plan their coops and runs, they only think about the good days. I try to think of how it will work when the days are not really good. Maybe I'm a pessimist at heart. I guess maybe you have to be an optomist to be a developer.

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Exactly, do your homework before you build. What I don't understand is why did he ask me & then turn right around & build.Heck I'm on a hill & a liitle water got in my barn that I live in. O'well.

6. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Is that he house they were building?

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes, thats the house going up as I type.

8. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Were they planning on building a dock for the boat?
    RobertH

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They should have put it on stilts...heck maybe they can do that now....jack it up and put the stilts on. Rather than tear the whole thing down.

10. theotherranch

theotherranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    Or an indoor pool maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by