I love my RIRs. Seriously, ARE there sweeter birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaDoula, May 23, 2010.

1. MamaDoula

MamaDoula Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Hills of Tenn!
    Maybe I've just had really excellent chicken luck, but I think we have some of the sweetest birds in the world. [​IMG]

The breeds we have to date are: three various wyandottes (1 banty), three cuckoo marans, one barred rock (&[email protected]*&$ fox got the other [​IMG] [​IMG]) , five buff orps, one auracana (I know, EE [​IMG]), one black sex link, five RIRs, and a passel of cornish hens...

And my RIRs are *such* sweeties! [​IMG] [​IMG] They walk right up to me and eat out of my hand and "ask" to be picked up when they're scared...I have a little roo that follows me up onto the deck and tries to go inside with me. [​IMG] I expected to have a blast while raising chickens, but I didn't expect to have such a relationship with them! My RIR mutt with the willow legs (Olive) is my favorite...such a sweet hen! [​IMG] The roo who follows me ran up onto the porch the day the fox [​IMG] yanked open the coop door and was crying for me until I came outside and saw what happened, and then he cried for me to pick him up! I didn't know chickens did that.

I love chickens. ::blissful sigh::

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My Delawares want to hang out with me - it's a good feeling! Yours sound really sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by