1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I love my roo!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Garden Gal, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I got into chickens with no intention of keeping any roosters, but after reading on this forum the information about roos, i decided to give it a try. I kept two roos out of ten, leaving eight hens. The guy who "stepped up to the plate" was NOT the guy I had my eye on, however he definately applied for and assumed the job. The guy I had thought I was going to keep is quitely maintaining the "second place".

The main roo has quietly worked his way into my heart, and I am so thankful considering all I hear about the nasty roosters. I've always tried to be "dominate" when in the coop and yard, but in all honesty, I could simply be just plain lucky. Both my guys are respectful and polite when I am around; the head roo actually takes treats very, very gently from my hands. The hens of course, grab and peck like crazy!! LOL!

We were working out in the yard today and our 89# German Shepherd was walking toward the chicken yard. Falcon (the dog) was not threatening - he has been hit by the electric fence two times which was enough to convince him chickens are no fun. However, the Roo did not know this and immediately called his hens to get behind him and put himself between Falcon and the gals. He had the look of "go ahead fur ball, make my day". I was so tickled with my feisty roo!!!

So for all the horror (justifiably) stories of guys gone bad, I have to say, I love my roos! As soon as my "younger flock" of gals gets old enough, I'm moving the second roo over to them and hope he steps up to the plate as well. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your story gives me hope. I have never kept roos because of bad experiences with a horrible rooster from my childhood, but maybe if I keep hearing these wonderful, inspirational stories I will reconsider. I am glad you got a good one.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    That is wonderful to hear, as i have a shaky relationship with my roo... holding him everyday has helped- what breed is your roo? pics maybe? [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So glad you are having a great experience. I adore mine as well. I have always been gentle and kind with him, and he returns this in spades. There is nothing like a great roo. [​IMG]
    JJ

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    I have had lots of different roos. I have a very large mixed barred rock/EE rooster that is like yours...gentle and protective of the hens, even babies, and has never even looked "funny" at me. Have a RIR that is very nice too, and others with the sweetest temperments.

And I have some that will attack and peck my hand off or flog for no reason...these I put up to sell or for freezer camp. Don't know the reason, maybe it is genetic? They are all raised the same. Some are gentle natural born leaders/protectors and some are just plain mean.

6. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    What breed is your roo? I'm glad you're having a good experience with him. I got an accidental EE roo with my pullet order and tried to give him away when he was about 2 months old and realized Sybil was a Sydney....no takers.
    He's now 4 months old and I'm so glad no one needed a roo. He's the sweetest boy. Not at all dominating (so far!) and lets me pick him up and carry him around. In fact, he was inside, snuggling and watching some football this evening, eating some cheerios during the Panthers game. Complete gentleman.
    [​IMG] I've gotten very attached to him.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I am totally illegal at present and have FIVE roos...

One will be leaving Wednesday as I'm selling it. (And getting a fair price... it's a Splash Ameraucana)

I love my roos...

I love my Blue Ameraucana, "Spaz"

I love my Golden Cuckoo Maran, "Barack"... we'll cull him some day.

I love my HUGE Partridge Cochin "Big Daddy"...

and my favorite at this point is my Blue Polish... "Shaka Zulu" he ROCKS!! Very protective of the ladies, but he's just not big enough for our Partridge Cochin pullet... and we'll end up putting her with Big Daddy anyway.

[​IMG]

8. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    My head roo is a barnyard mix and the second in command is a Delaware Giant. I'll get pictures later this morning and post them. I guess I'll have to come up with names for these guys... I had made the committment to not name any of the guys (made an exception for one nasty little sucker - called him Pecker Head and he was the first to go!) so that I did not get attached... since they are definately staying around I need to come up with two good names!

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    What a great story!

I've never had a roo I loved. I've had one that I hated... [​IMG]

I do have a young one that I'm kinda fond of right now. I'll be rehoming him though. He isn't really worthy of being a breeder because he has some physical issues that don't match the standard of perfection. But he's a good boy.

Lucky for me, I have lots and lots of little ones to choose from, so I'm sure I'll find a good breeder out of the bunch.

10. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    Glad you have such a good fellow. i had a nice roo, but unfortunately he died. I now have a welsummer that just doesn't like my company at all. his fate is up in the air right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by