I LOVE My Rooster [A Story of Courage]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WRVgirl, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    He is absolutely amazing.
    He is:
    Friendly
    Cuddly
    Always vigilant
    Protector of the girls

He:
    Calls the girls in at night
    Calls them back out in the morning
    Calls them to come get the juiciest grubs from the garden
    Yells at them when they misbehave
    Shepards them through the yard
    Breaks up chick fights [pun intended]
    Is willing to stand up against an enemy he can not possibly beat.

This afternoon, I was out in the yard, doing yard stuff, chicken stuff, dog stuff.

A MASSIVE hawk dive bombed the girls. The hawk had a wingspan at least 5' wide. He was big. I heard the noise and looked to see this hawk dive straight into the shrub line along our yard, his only mistake is that he didn't realize there was a fence in that shrub line.

I heard one of the chickens squawking and screaming, and I took off running towards the hawk who was still in the shrubs trying to grab a bird.

As I approached [screaming obscenities at this hawk and wishing that I had my pellet gun, and then wishing that it wasn't illegal to kill hawks] I realized that my beloved Mr. Splash was valiantly defending his girls by going up against this massive creature who was hell bent on taking one back to it's lair to have for supper.

I know, that if I hadn't gotten there and the hawk hadn't realized I was coming, Mr. Splash would have lost the fight...but I was able to intervene. Once I was about 2' from this *******, he took off, circled a few times and then left, probably to find an easier target.

Mr. Splash then herded the other chickens to a brush line close to the back of the house. The chickens walked single file and Mr. Splash brought up the rear, checking constantly behind him for danger.

Everyone survived.

Thankfully, there were no casualties or injuries. They were spooked though. They've spent the rest of the afternoon in the brush by the house in one big chicken pile. I coaxed them out with some scratch and everyone appears to be in good health. Just a little shaky.

I am so proud of my rooster right now. I never thought that he would have the balls to stand up to something that big and scary...especially since he's usually so friendly and docile.

I don't know what would have happened it I hadn't been there, but I am so grateful that he was willing to fight this thing off to protect his flock.

Now, I have to figure out how to scare off hawks, in case they try to return.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just so proud of him right now.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good for him! Be vigilant, the hawk will very likely return.

3. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I wish there was something I could do to scare them off...without actually being present.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by