1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I LOVE my roosters!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 23, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    I really do!! They are the most awesome roosters ever!! They take such good care of their girls! One of them is a RIR (Roadie) and about 4ish months old and he is breeding my hens already! He is so kind to them! He never picks on them and they have all of their feathers! (my theory for him being so nice to them is that he was still pretty young and the hens were older when they were introduced--hens were in charge from the get-go) Any rooster who picks feathers off of my hens backs will be GONE! Its cold and not just that, I dont want to look at a bare-backed hen! I realize he is still young and could change his ways, but so far so good. He runs when you go to catch him, but when you do catch him he is very kind even though he's not happy. lol....Now, my Delaware rooster is awesome!!!! He runs too when you go to catch him, but once you do he is a big cuddle bug!!! Such a sweet heart!! He is like MR Romantic Dream Boy to his hen (only one right now). When I am feeding them their treats, he always let his girl have whatever she wants first and once shes good and full he will take whats left over. She is aggressive with her food (not mean tho). If the roo (Charlie) even grabs one little piece she will snatch it right out of his mouth and he doesnt even mind! Its almost like hes thinking "Here you go, I got this for you!" Anywho they are just awesome!! My rir roo and his hens figured out how to sneak into the Delaware coop and both the roos got along great!!! They just hung out!! My Delaware roo is about older (8 mos old or so) and much larger (8lbs) compared to my rir roo (4 mos old or so)....he could have killed him if he wanted to....The previous owner of my Delaware roo told me that you can stick baby chicks in with him and his girls and they wont bother them, but yet they will eat mice!! Yes mice!!! Such good boys tho!! Ive never once seen either roo so much as peck their girls!! Oh I also have a Black Rosecomb Bantam roo (Jasper)....he is super easy to catch, has a hilarious personality and is a good cuddler!! He is also a great one to carry on an excellent conversation with me!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Aren't roos awesome?! I love my boys too. Some of my roo's have better personalities than my hens do. Glad to hear you have such sweet boys! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I love my roosters too. They don't pick the feathers off on purpose. A hen will sometimes lose a few neck feathers in the process, but nothing serious. Losing the back feathers is again not on purpose, it just happens from his feet rubbing across the hens back.
    I haven't had any problems with lost back feathers and my boys are extremely ut hum busy.
    I don't think my alpha ever gets a piece of bread. I'll hand him a piece and he always holds it in his mouth and makes clicking noises to invite the girls to take it from him.
    To me it's not a flock unless there's a rooster in there somewhere.

4. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks...ya ive always been skeptic about roos, mostly because they crow!! So far nobodies bugged me and theyve been nice!! Ive gotten VERY lucky!!

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i must have been right about him getting it for her.....because he didnt even try to swallow it (of course she waaass quick)! I think thats really neat!!

6. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    My RIR roo is 9 months and can be a little snot at times. He will let me grab him and likes to be held, but he feels the need to test me sometimes. He will come up and do the wing down shuffle dance around me to see what my reaction will be. If you stick your foot out at him he doesn't like it. When he does this thats when I pick him up. I'll pet him for a minute then put him down and he goes on with his business. It funny to when I feed them treats out of my hand he is the most gental one. The hens peck at it hard, and he just takes lady like bites lol. I have to say though he likes the girls... maybe a little to much! So now he is in the bachlor pad for awhile.Cant wait to see how my BC marans roo is going to be.
    Well heres a pic of Rude Roo [​IMG] He's the one in my Avatar as well.[​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh, Chef! Your rooster is handsome! [​IMG]

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I love all the little noises they make to tell the girls when they've found something yummy!

Chef is a pretty boy!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, but my alpha is sneaky and lazy! He'll make the noise to call the girls over while he acts like he's found something really yummy. Then when the girl bends over to see what it is he's found, he mounts her! [​IMG] Beats having to chase one down I guess.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    My RIR rooster is scared to death from me, I am sorry, but I really don,t like roosters, I just need one to fertile the eggs.

This is rooster #3 in 6 months, every time I get one, I find out that he is agressive with my girls, then I have no other choice than eating him, this one is ok so far, but I scared him since I got him (3 months old) .

I am not crule with him I just start catching him and show him that I am the big rooster who rules the flock.

Omran.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by