I love Polish chicks, my hens DO NOT!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by buffalochicks, Sep 4, 2014.

1. buffalochicks

buffalochicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Buffalo Minnesota
    Hi! my name is Kaiden I love Polish chickens.when i got the bunch i had to order them as a straight run (that means random) and i got 3 roosters and 1 hen . any advice on how my chicks can get along with my barred rocks and my silver laced wyandotte hens.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Hi Kaiden! [​IMG]

There are a few questions that need to be answered before we can help you. How many hens do you have altogether? How big are your coop and run? Do the chickens free range? How old are your hens? How old are the chicks?

3. buffalochicks

buffalochicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Buffalo Minnesota
    I have 8 hens Ranging in age 1-3years

4 polish chicks born on Cinco de Mayo(so 4 months)
    3 roosters
    1 hen

They have a 12x12 coop and about 16x10 ft run.

They do not free range, but I take them into the garden and take them for walks when I can watch for neighborhood dogs.

The polish chicks are in the garage right now at night, and they go in the garden during the day. I put them with the older hens when I can watch them so they don't get to rough. When the chicks seem stressed out I put them back in the garage or take them to the garden.
    Kaiden

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That is a lot of roosters for the amount of hens you have. That could potentially be a problem, causing your hens to be stressed out once your roosters figure out what mating is all about. Not to mention fights between the roosters. One way to alleviate this problem would be to separate all or at least two of the roosters. Your young ones are old enough to go in with the hens. There are going to be squabbles to establish pecking order, but if there are no serious injuries and blood isn't being drawn, I would let them work it out. It's the only way it's going to get better.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by