I Love Roosters!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sjisty, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Roosters are such fun. There's nothing neater than a rooster crow in the morning (midmorning, noon, afternoon, and pretty much all day long until dark). This is why we moved out of the city three years ago! Roosters are such funny things. When they are chicks and I put my hand in the brooder, they come running up like they think they are such big things and I should be so scared! When they move to the great outdoors, their chest butting and kicking is so comical. The first rooster crow makes me laugh every time. My breed of choice is Brahma, so the clumsy big-foot lumbering through the yard also brings a smile to my face.

And of course when they grown, they are (almost) always absolutely beautiful. My head roo is so gentle with his ladies. When one of my hens got mauled by a dog, I brought her inside to heal. When she rejoined the flock, Rocky stood guard over her. When China, my buff Brahma, had bumblefoot, quite often when I would have to get her to change her bandage Rocky would stand between her and me. He won't let any of the younger guys mount his ladies, although my serama roo, Romeo, is his friend. I guess he knows that a chicken not much bigger than his foot isn't a threat.

My younger guys are just coming into their manhood and are much more entertaining than any television show.

I read on this site about all the BYCers that can't or don't have roos and all I think about is how much they are missing the joys of owning a rooster!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Beautiful!

I absolutely agree. Have loved the sound of a rooster crow all my life. I sleep right through it if they start around 4 AM. They are like any animal baby, it is obviously just practice and play.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your boys are beautiful! Love my roosters, too. They add such a special presence in the flock. And I know that I haven't had a predator issue yet because of them, in spite of their girls running off in all directions--poor guys can't be in all places at once, though they sure try!

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I also agree. I've always been more fascinated with roosters than with hens. I love how they tick-even the ones that go after people.

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    If I didn't need the girls to give me eggs.......I would only have roosters!!!! [​IMG]

I LOVE ROOSTERS!!!!!!

Your boys are beautiful! I think I need those blues! Yummy! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Ur boys are beautiful! and I love roos too!
    I only have one, but he is gorgeous and such a sweetheart to his girls, I love my Rooster!!!

7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I love 'em I love 'em I love 'em! We have only one rooster (The other two actually hurt hurt me..) And he is very shy ans skiddish, but BEAUTIFUL! He doesn't crow though... since they free range and come up to teh house, it's very iritating to hear like a rooster crow next to your house every second, but I love how they strutt

8. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri Out Of The Brooder

We have only one chicken. A ROOSTER!

Pretty sure he strayed from the neighbor's to our west. Probably kicked out of their coop. Neighbors didn't seem to be interested in taking him back. Once he discovered our barn...he took over...he rules! The barn dog and cat have decided it is better to ignore than to approach him.

Before Thanksgiving, he moved in with the girls (hens) next door to our east. Thought that would be a better deal for him than living in our bigger horse barn with no other chickens. But, a few weeks later he "flew the coop" to return to us and here is where he's stayed. At night he's learned to roost safely in the back of my enclosed horse trailer, rather than out in the more open barn on top of the stall rails.

With a little effort I can catch and hold him. As soon as he knows he's caught, he relaxes to allow me to pet him.

Fascinating creature!

9. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Roos ARE more beautiful than the hens. Their stance, feathers, colors everything.

I think the roos are more photogenic too, because I love taking photographs, they seem to capture the light better and are just better photo subjects.

[​IMG]
    Ashley, a blue Cochin bantam perching in the enclosure

[​IMG]
    Smokey, my top cockerel. He and Ashley are buddies, but 2 weeks ago, Ashley tried hustling for top position, and Smokey let him have it, and now they are back to being good buds, after the squabbling.

[​IMG]
    Ashley

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

HopeMissouri, that's a wonderful story!

I have "too many" roosters and I don't want to get rid of any of them. They're not fighting; they all seem to know their places. Granted, the two little Sebright boys are occasionally obnoxious and I have to remind one of them I really AM the Boss of them all and he cannot flog my ankles.

All the others eat from my hands, they're so pretty, they are such good looking fellas. My landlady is positive more than one is too much, she thinks they'll fight. They don't. They sometimes chest bump and flare up their hackles, but that's about it.

These aren't all of 'em, but aren't they lovely??

Carl EE, my dominant Roo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carl at the front door with several ladies. Charlie is in the background, he's a bantam Buff Brahma.
    [​IMG]

Alex Sebright on the fence.
    [​IMG]

George Sebright.
    [​IMG]

George crowing.
    [​IMG]

Charlie B. Brahma as a youngster, just coming into roosterhood.
    [​IMG]

Charlie B. Brahma after a good crow.
    [​IMG]

Charlie and George with a couple of the ladies.
    [​IMG]

Nugget B. Cochin checking out the ginormous brooder.
    [​IMG]

Nugget again.
    [​IMG]

I still have to get some photos of Kellog, Rusty, and a few I haven't yet named. They're the younger crew. Then there are the little roos in the brooder, still....

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by