Brenda Allen

Hatching
Jan 17, 2018
I was raised on a farm. I never wanted to do anything else. My grandparents and an Uncle advised me to discover the world. Regardless of where I lived, I still gardened even if it was adding a tomato plant to a flower bed. HOA just don't understand people wanting to GROW food. So I learned to keep out of HOAs n still did a lot of gardening as a hobby. I became a widow at the age of 49. I left the city life behind and bought a farm within 10 miles of where my grandparents had lived. My DREAM was to actually buy my grandparents place but it had been incorporated into the city limits. I still laugh every time my electricity goes off and the electric company asks me to go to the porch to check if my neighbors lights are on. I DON'T HAVE VISIBLE OR AUDIBLE NEIGHBORS. It's wonderful. When living in DFW there would be late nights I would turn the main breaker off to the house to have QUIET for a few hours. I moved to the country to start a DOG RESCUE...then people contacted me about goats, pigs, chickens, ducks... Never been happier. The Dogs are my primary purpose. I'm a farm gal so I raise all the other animals for my own food & for barter. Gardening is still a love but with the fire ants, drought and bad dirt I don't plant big gardens anymore. I still compost with the hay and droppings I take out of all the pens. I MAY be able to actually have a garden someday. I try to keep life simple so I have time to do the things I love. I take my dogs on walks across the pasture. Sometimes I sit under a big oak while I watch the dogs play. Of course it's always exciting when the livestock have babies in the fall and spring.

G’Day from down under Brenda :frow Welcome! and Kudos :clap

BYC has a few active gardening threads you might like to join. This one in particular comes to mind:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/

If you search the forums, I am sure you will find many more.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Hi Brenda, and howdy from another DFW refugee. I share your HOA allergy and that has led me to south Texas to live in the colonias along the border in unincorporated Cameron County. After living in Austin for 2 years and being harassed by those jerks in Circle C Ranch I was done with those jerks sending me letters demanding I fix or clean trivial stuff. I will never live anywhere there is a HOA again as to me they depreciate home values by simply existing not to mention the fees.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you have joined us and we look forward to your input. :old

Back
Top Bottom