I love the color of RIRxBO. Any chance to continue it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PunkinPeep, Aug 25, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I figure, before i reinvent the wheel, i should see what y'all have already done. I would love to breed these dark yellow/orange beauties to each other to get more of the same. Is there any chance of that? Will i just get a lot of multi-colored mutts?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have not done it, but I'd expect you to get different shades from the buff to the RIR red color with the offspring of that cross. Some will come back the dark yellow/orange, but they will not all breed true to that color. I would not expect you to get different colors like black, white, blue, any of that, just varying shades from buff to red.

I've got a couple of pullets from a SS roo x BO hen cross. (The speckles are recessive so they do not show.) I suspect what I have is very close to your color with the RIR. It does make a pretty pullet.

3. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    It depends on what you want.More of the dark orange shade?If yes mate them together and keep picking that shade.They will recombine into Lighter Buffs,same shade orange and dark buff-reddish birds.

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Cool! Have you done this?

Could i eventually get some consistency?

RR, pretty roo too. The hackle feathers are a bright fiery orange over that dark yellow. I love it. The one i have is only about 20 weeks old, but i think he's going to be gorgeous! And he's a big boy!

5. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I have had Buff Leghorns 30 some years.This year I had a mating of some birds that are 75% Buff Leghorn and 25% all Red Leghorn.They are mostly a rich pumpkin orange.

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That's so cool! [​IMG]

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    At some point I will have RIRXBO's. I bought 12 sexed chicks, 6 RIR and 6 BO's but one of the RIR's turned out to be a roo. I decided to keep him and so eventually I will have some chicks, I hope! I don't plan on breeding for anything, just letting nature take it's course. I know I will have to replace my roo in a couple of years though. Just can't stand the thought of Rudy breeding his own daughters (yuk). I am hoping to find someone who would like to swap roos to add new bloodlines. We'll see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by