I love the nipple waterers!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Amethyste, May 17, 2010.

1. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

We broke down and ordered a set from AquaAvianMiser or whatever its called like some people did here.... FINALLY got hubby to help me fix it all together. We put it in yesterday afternoon/evening, and apparently it was going to eat the girls.

Really.

They were all in the corner muttering about the evil thing in the corner that they KNEW was going to get up and get them.

So, left it in overnight and early this morning put on my old pants and birdie shoes and went to the coop to begin our negotiations. They were off the roost by that time and had decided that the thing in the corner wasnt so bad (Still not going near it mind you!) but they were thirsty and wanted to know where their water had gone. After much cajoling and begging, I finally got them to come near the waterer. I spent 45 mins bok-bok-boking to call them over, and pecking at the nipple to make the water come out so they would correlate.

Camilla finally got the idea, and took a drink and you could see her going "HEY! It's water! It's NOT gonna eat me!!" And away she went, slurp slurp slurp. Took the others a few minutes to catch on...I think they thought she had lost it...but after about 10 minutes...I am glad to report that ALL 8 are now drinking their water from the nipples.

I am so happy to not have to worry about dirty nasty water anymore!! And no more shavings kicked in to dry out the waterer!!

Now to get some apple cider vinegar and figure how much for 3 gallons:p

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmmm, I might like to try that....and the nipples don't drip at all? No leaking?

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

None!

I was shocked!! No dripping on their own....we left it full of water in the garage as a test run and there were no drips. The only drps I saw was after the birdies drank... but they didnt drip all over the floor.

It's slightly <VERY slightly> damp under it atm from where I was peck peck pecking at the waterer to intentionally make it drip so they would figure it out. But there are no drips from it at all other than what I did on purpose. It's not anything like the rabbit bottles. It's really much better than I ever thought tbh.

I just went out to peek at them.... they are all slurping away [​IMG] I'm so proud of those dumb birdies sometimes!

4. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I just ordered one after reading your post! Thanks, anything to make coop maintenance easier..... I'll let you know how it works out for the girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by