I love watching them hatch but GOOD GRIEF hatching stinks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mycookoonest, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I am getting ready for my 3rd hatch and WOW the smell that radiates from the bator is unbelievably gag worthy!!!!

I just cleaned it from my last hatch again (we had to house our Silkie who didn't fair well with the big chicks she's in brooder now) and PHEW it still had hatch residue stink in it!
    [​IMG]

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    haha i know what you mean....my first hatch after the first chick hatch i was like [​IMG] what is that????

my new eggs are on day 17 now and thats why i made a hatcher for them this time...lol

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    huh mine never smelled bad, it is just a weird smell. LOL

4. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    uhoh- how bad does it smell?????? This could be a problem for me if the eggs I am waiting on hatch [​IMG]

5. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    I guess it is an acquired smell. [​IMG]

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    My first group hatched out over a 4 day period - by the end - YIKES - it smelled REALLY bad in my living room.

[​IMG] So this time the incubator is in the basement - it already smells down there [​IMG]

Louella

7. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    uh oh, hubby isn't going to like me when I make him deal with it after they hatch, ok that is one thing I wish I had known lol Oh well it will be worth it for more fuzzy butt babies [​IMG] I just hope he thinks so [​IMG]

8. autsie

autsie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Okay, now I am worried! I have my eggs ordered and the bator ready to begin on Monday and now I don't know if I should move it out of the main living area. Seriously. What is the smell? Rotten? Garbage? What? Please help me!

Autumn

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I don't think it stinks at all...and I have a very sensitive sense of smell and am horribly offended by bad odors. In fact, I kinda like it. I was sitting there smiling a bit ago thinking how it had that "baby hatching" smell. Maybe I am strange? I mean, I haven't had one go 4 days....that might be different.

10. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    When I first started surfing this site all the news was good. Hatching, laying, happy & healthy chickens, and now that I got suckered into getting chicks and hatching eggs I keep reading about bumble foot, rotten crop, bad hatches with dead chicks, predators getting into coops, and stinky incubators.

What have y'all done to me? I have seven chicks and 50+ eggs incubating. I'm scared!!

BTW: today is day 19 on my Wyandottes. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by