1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I"m thinking roo... How about you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lacymarie0526, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lacymarie0526

lacymarie0526 In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    I'm not exactly sure when this chick was born but I do know that it is atleast 4 weeks old. It was quite a bit bigger than the other chicks that I got I would guess it is atleast 5 to 6 weeks. But I'm thinking it is a roo what do you think? If it is I need to find a home for it and I think they ajust eaiser when they are smaller. Please Help!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Songster

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I agree, I say roo

3. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'd give the chick at least a few more weeks, could be a roo or a hen. One of my mom's friends gave away 2 "roosters" that turned into hens [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    those are some thick legs...i vote cockeral.

also, it may be the same age as the others if it is a roo...they spring up sometimes.

he's a cutie!

5. lacymarie0526

lacymarie0526 In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    I have the worst luck with getting roosters! I got 10 chicks now and out of the ten I got 4!

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Cockerel.

7. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Songster

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Looks roo to me. [​IMG]

8. Lady Lakenvelder

Lady Lakenvelder In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    ROO!!!

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    wait a few more weeks. (about 4 months is the best) then you should be able to tell. I wanna say hen. but it looks like a rooster attitude. Pink wattles/comb. and thick legs. but that doesn't mean anything, i got a hen that has legs about the size of a quarter( maybe not that big. but they look like it). body like a rooster huge comb, and TALL. shes even got spurs about 2"5 inches long.if it weren't for her hen feathers and her laying eggs and hatching a couple clutches of biddies.. I'd think she was a rooster

-Daniel

PS.. she's crowed once or twice before too [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  10. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Yup, Roo!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: