1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I made a Brooder yesterday! Now my hatch better be successful! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oldredhen, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Oldredhen

Oldredhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    So my friend Mary and I spent all day yesterday building a brooder for my hatch. I took wood from left overs in the barn, borrowed hinges off of old toy boxes, glass out of an old coffee table and bingo, made a perfect brooder! We made it with a hinge top for easy cleaning, and put a sliding glass door on the front so we can see in easily, cut a hole in the top to hang their brooder lamp and put handles on the sides so we can carry it around. We also are going to put casters on the bottom since it's way heavy. It was great having Mary build this with me, being a horse shoer she can hammer nails upside down better than I can. I have vent holes in the back, and am now testing temp with thermometer to see if I need to add more. The roof can be raised/lowered to adjust temp so the chicks don't roast or get too cold. Now my hatch better be successful. LOL

Front View

[​IMG]

Veiw with sliding glass door
    [​IMG]

Hinged lid view
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    fantastic!!!!!!! looks great! i love the sliding door!!!

3. Oldredhen

Oldredhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Thanks. I got the idea of that from a lady I bought my bator from, she had a very nice mahogany desk with a smaller version of what I made on her beautiful desk, with the sliding doors which I thought were cool. Of course, I'm FAR FROM being a carpenter, but this was easy to build, didn't cost me anything (since I had all the things just lying around the barn) so not bad for a beginner. LOL. Thank GOD I have such a wonderful husband to allow me to take up so much of the family room with this. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by