1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I made a cooler incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by onecrazyblackredneck, Sep 13, 2011.

1. onecrazyblackredneck

onecrazyblackredneck New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    So I made a cooler incubator and I have been trying to dial in the temp, it floats between 97 and 108 all day but generally stays at 99.....What is the best thermostat to use? I am using a hot water heater thermostat, it just doesnt seem to be sensitive enough.....

2. Hi and welcome! There is a way to tweak those thermostats to make them more sensitive, but I'd have to look for the directions.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have two homemade incubators, one of mine is made out of a plastic cooler and it seems to keep the temp quite well it's also has a water heater thermostat. However my syrafoam cooler, the temp seems to bounce around like your describing same kind of thermostat...

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Move the thermostat to about 1 to 1/2 inch away from the light bulb & it will not vary as much, but the wafer thermostat is the best to me.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I first made my Bator with a water heater thermostat it worked just Ok even after I moved it away from the heat element and used spacers to bring it off the wall 2" for better air circulation. a year ago I installed a wafer thermostat and it works so well it's great, it keeps temp's within a tenth of a degree all month long, now once it's set I havent made an adjustment in 9mo.

6. onecrazyblackredneck

onecrazyblackredneck New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Wow thanks for the replies everyone, that was fast. I am using a plastic cooler, I guess I will get a wafer thermostat, sounds like that is the way to go! Thanks everyone and I look forward to the future conversations, this is a pretty neat website!

7. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Seems you had the same problem I just did. Question, are you taking the temperature from the air in the incubator or are you taking the temperature from a container of sand or a water bag? The temperature you are worried about getting set is not the air it's the sand or water, which is the egg. Before I realized this I tried for days to get the air temp in the cooler steady, I was ready to pull out my hair, then I happened upon a post that said you need to keep the temp. of the water or the sand at the consistent temp, not the air in the incubator.

I do have a small container of sand, about the size of the eggs, and this is what I use to measure the temp. You be surprised how well the water heater thermostat works after you do this, lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by