1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I made a homemade egg-o-meter too!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Nov 21, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I saw Cynthia's post about making an egg-o-meter and decided to try it too when I saw a plastic toy egg filled with play putty called "Rainbow Glitz" at CVS pharmacy. I can't remember the price but it was just a few bucks, maybe $5.00. I had an Accurate thermometer with a probe on a long wire. I drilled a small hole in the end of the egg, put the probe through and wrapped it in the putty. I put the egg back together and put my homemade egg-o-meter into my Brinsea incubator. Within a few minutes the egg-o-meter read 99.5 and so did the Brinsea. I let it sit in there for a half hour and it never fluctuated more then .1 degree. I am excited! This will be the official thermometer when I use my Hovabator as a back-up to the Brinsea.

This is what it looks like:

Probe inside the putty:
    [​IMG]
    Put together:
    [​IMG]
    In the Brinsea:
    [​IMG]
    Brinsea temp:
    [​IMG]
    Homade Egg-o-meter temp!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mary

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

NICE JOB !!!

I've gotta ask some neighbors IF they have any "surplus" plastic eggs and make one myself!

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Wow, I am so honored! Junkman likes my junk! [​IMG] Who knew?

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha-Ha !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    yea good for you i bought the real one and not copied someone esles idea

6. TheCoopers

TheCoopers si amoureux

Sep 16, 2009
    Lexington,SC
    I Will have to give that a try.
    Nice Brinsea bator,I did not know they had digital displays...I Hope the DW does not see the pic [​IMG]
    Do you find the Brinsea alot better than the hovabator?

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:This is my first hatch using it! We are due on Dec 3rd. I have done two previous hatches, one in an LG, and another in a still air Hovabator 1602N.

So far, this is leaps and bounds above the other two. I spent so much time trying to stabilize temps and humidity before and the Brinsea does it all automatically. I am just playing around this time with some breeds I think I will like. Once I make a decision on what I want to concentrate on, then I'll get serious. I am disappointed in shipped eggs though. Lost 7 due to breakage and so far had had to discard another 9 that were either non-fertile or quit. [​IMG]

I still have 20 viable eggs in there though! [​IMG]

Thanks!

8. IncubatorWarehouse.com

IncubatorWarehouse.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Fruitland, ID
    It is fun to see a discussion about our product the Egg-o-meter. We ran out of stock of our original thermometer, and decided it was time for an upgrade. You can see the new Egg-o-meter (tm) at the following link:

The Official Egg-o-meter - A Better Egg Thermometer!

We have introduced a number of new features that make the new Egg-o-meter even better.
    - Now has a built in alarm so you can know when the temperature of your egg drops below or goes above a certain temperature.
    - Min/Max Memory, so you can see what your eggs have been through since you last checked.
    - Choose between C or F
    - Battery now included

Happy Incubating!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good work, Warden!

Incubatorwarehouse, I do like the new alarm feature you added onto your Egg-o-Meter.

10. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Wow~What a great idea!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by