I made a new, bigger brooder! picture

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by secuono, Dec 12, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, the 4 Japs and their baby 3 Jap siblings will soon have 4-6 new baby Japs hatch out and will need more room from their old brooder. It was about a 3ft square. I also have around 15 eggs due to hatch on the 16th, so they will be integrated to the Japs after a week or two of solitude, lol.

I had to buy a new very expensive heater for my 90gallon aquarium, it's rated for only 75gal, so I had to get insulation foamboard. Had some extra and made a 4ft square brooder. Lined it with black plastic and then paper towels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    looks awesome for them! beats my brooder! (2 big cardboard boxes cut and taped together) i like the lil' roost you put in there. why the plastic things on top?

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It's glass, I had them over the smaller brooder to help keep warm air in and the drafts out. Kinda what it's doing now for the bigger one, just less affective.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well that's a good idea, i never woulda thought of it. i love having chicks (and chickens of course). this will be my last year to have them for quite awhile cuz i can only have so many in my yard.....i'll be getting 8 (or so....lol) this spring, and i will be putting eggs in the bator this week. VERY addicting! good luck with ur babies!

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks.
    These are my last hatching eggs for awhile. Really hope the Silkies hatch!

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Lol, the chicks keep moving their little 'shelter' around the brooder. Today, I found it over the water. So guess what they all did when I moved it? They all freaked and ran away like chickens...oh wait...lol!

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI. Yours is very similar to mine. Made it out of peg board held with those slip things.
    Like they use for hand cuffs.
    Have one 4x4 for brooder and one 2x4 for broody hens.
    They work great and can be broken down for storage easily....
    Like I ever store them [​IMG]
    Put wire cloth on the small one because rats in the barn,
    Brooder stays in the house.
    Cannot wait for my chicks to hatch,
    12/22
    Thanks for the pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by