I made a outdoor Clay Oven

Chic Chick

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
East Central Alberta
Last year I decided I needed to have a clay oven to keep the heat out of the kitchen during the summer so this year I went ahead and built one.
I started out by building a portable waist high stand for the oven. This is not recommended because the clay is so heavy a permanent base made out of cement would be better.
20345_img_3415.jpg

20345_img_3418.jpg

Then was mixing the clay and sand and straw together on a big tarp. I started mixing it up in small amounts in a wheelbarrow but soon put on boots and stomped it to mix it all at once.
20345_img_3437.jpg

20345_img_3421.jpg

I used a heavy wire with 2" squares for the frame, and a huge box for the frame. I plastered about 2 inches of the clay all over the box and then placed the wire over top, and then packed the wire with about another 3- 4" of clay again.
20345_img_3436.jpg

Heres the oven in the process of applying the clay - notice the wire on top and the back of the oven.
20345_img_3440.jpg

20345_img_3441.jpg

The final result. I decided to be safe and put some plywood and braces to make sure the roof didn't cave before it dried. Now when the clay is dry I burn the inside paper and wood when I do the first curing fire.
Oh and I need to make a tin lined door to keep the heat in the oven
20345_img_3451.jpg

20345_img_3455.jpg

All total took about 10 hours of my time and was relatively easy to make. The best websites about the clay ovens was ehow and Mother Earth News

I have been daydreaming about building an earthen oven as well; and you have inspired me to just go ahead and do it rather than twiddling my thumbs!!
hugs.gif
Ty for the inspiration! I don't know anyone around that has straw for sale (only hay) but I have read that I could use pine needles instead of straw...
ya.gif

Oh and great job by the way!! Your oven looks AWESOME! Did you already have all the materials on your land or did you have to buy them?

How big are the dimensions ??, what do you plan to cook in it and how is the fire placed in there and how do you regulate or let the fire breath ??. LOL sorry for all the Q's but it looks really cool and interesting.

Back
Top Bottom