I made a outdoor Clay Oven

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chic Chick, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Last year I decided I needed to have a clay oven to keep the heat out of the kitchen during the summer so this year I went ahead and built one.
    I started out by building a portable waist high stand for the oven. This is not recommended because the clay is so heavy a permanent base made out of cement would be better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then was mixing the clay and sand and straw together on a big tarp. I started mixing it up in small amounts in a wheelbarrow but soon put on boots and stomped it to mix it all at once.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used a heavy wire with 2" squares for the frame, and a huge box for the frame. I plastered about 2 inches of the clay all over the box and then placed the wire over top, and then packed the wire with about another 3- 4" of clay again.
    [​IMG]

Heres the oven in the process of applying the clay - notice the wire on top and the back of the oven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The final result. I decided to be safe and put some plywood and braces to make sure the roof didn't cave before it dried. Now when the clay is dry I burn the inside paper and wood when I do the first curing fire.
    Oh and I need to make a tin lined door to keep the heat in the oven
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All total took about 10 hours of my time and was relatively easy to make. The best websites about the clay ovens was ehow and Mother Earth News

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very nice, looking forward to seeing the finished oven and what it produces! [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    VERY cool!

Make a pie!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Wow, very neat! Great work!

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I have been daydreaming about building an earthen oven as well; and you have inspired me to just go ahead and do it rather than twiddling my thumbs!! [​IMG] Ty for the inspiration! I don't know anyone around that has straw for sale (only hay) but I have read that I could use pine needles instead of straw... [​IMG]

Oh and great job by the way!! Your oven looks AWESOME! Did you already have all the materials on your land or did you have to buy them?

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    How big are the dimensions ??, what do you plan to cook in it and how is the fire placed in there and how do you regulate or let the fire breath ??. LOL sorry for all the Q's but it looks really cool and interesting.

7. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    This is what were wanting to do! You did such a great job! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Ya better prove it works by cooking pizza for all of BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is TOO COOL!!!!! Good for you!

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Woah! Way to go!! Let us know about what yummy things you cook in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by