I made a stupid mistake!!! Are the eggs ok???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    UGH! I could just kick myself right now! I've had 2 eggs in the bator for a week now. The temp was reading 100*. It was steady for the whole week. (I have an LG bator). I was gearing up to put eggs in at midnight this morning for the Thanksgiving hatch. Hubby brought home his multi-meter (some fancy tools mechanics use-it has a thermometer built in). He swears it's accurate so I wanted to compare it to the LG thermometer that I'd been using for a week.

SO, put the multi-meter guage in, and it's reading only 98*. Soooooo I debated whether or not to change it, but against by better judgement I upped the temp a bit. It fluctuated and I finally got it holding steady at 100*. I went to bed at midnight after I put the 18 new eggs in.

Woke up this morning at 6:30 and the multi-meter was reading 107*!!!!!!! [​IMG] So I quickly opened the bator to let heat out. I played around with it a bit more and got it holding steady at 98*, the LG reads 100*. I don't know which thermometer is right!

Are the eggs dead? [​IMG] I had to leave for work, but Hubby called and said it's still reading the same. I'm so afraid it'll spike again for some reason! It was perfect for a WEEK and I had to go mess it up!!!!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It's hard to say at this point. Especially since you don't know how long the temp. was that high. I say you need to hold on for awhile (at least until day 10) to decide if the eggs aren't any good or not. [​IMG]

I have found with past experience that LG's are very temperamental and adjusting them before going to bed is a HUGE no, no. They swing so badly, you never know what temp. they will reach (down or up) when you back is turned.

Sorry this happened.

3. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I don't think I'd give up on those eggs yet. It takes hours for the inside of the egg to reach the air temperature when you first place them in the incubator.

4. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I really hope they're ok! Gosh, I wish I could go home and check on them to make sure the temperature is still stable. I wonder if I can get my BIL to run over there real quick.

5. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    i definately wouldn't trust the lg thermo. mine red 100, so i put the eggs in, and after my hova was done, put the hova thermo in there, and it was 104. needless to say, i've lost all but 5 eggs out of 39. i've also noticed that the lg doesn't hold temp as well as the hova did. it has a fluctuation of about 2 degrees where the hova didn't fluctuate at all and they are sitting next to each other.

i'll pray for your eggs. hopefully you caught it in time.

6. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok, so I snuck home to check on the bator, and the multimeter is holding steady at 98* and the LG is reading 100*.

Here's the question.....if the multimeter is right, will the eggs be ok at the low temp? I need to go get a third thermometer. [​IMG] But until I can do that, I'd rather leave it where it is instead of have them get too hot.

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If your using a still air LG the temperature needs to read 102 degrees. If it's forced air the temperature needs to read 99.5-100 degrees. If it's still air reading 98 to 100, your temps are too low. You need to give a thermo at least 30 minutes and then check the temp reading.

I personally would use the thermo that your husband brought you rather than the one that came with the LG.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

IF the multi-meter your husband brought home is a FLUKE, I would go with that temp reading. FLUKE makes very accurate instruments! [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

9. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:It's a Blue Point.

Thanks everyone! I'll go ahead and up the temps *very carefully* tonight!

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Blue Point is a "Snap-On" brand. ALSO QUALITY Equipment!

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by