I made an incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirl1995, Dec 29, 2010.

1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    My first incubator was a big plastic tub and it didn't get past 80 degrees...but it was purple and pretty so its ok. So after waiting and waiting and searching and searching and SEARCHING for another source of material for an incubator I finally found a styrofoam cooler in Publix today. Which is strange cause I've searched every store for one. But I'm glad I found it. It heated up to 101 degrees in like less than ten minutes:D is that too high for the eggs though? I don't have a fan in there so I think it will be ok. The Chicken Health Handbook said 102 degrees and 58 percent humidity or 100 degrees with 61 percent humidity. My humidity only got to 27. I have a tiny dish of water in there so should I put more little dishes in there to increase humidity? I've never incubated before so I'm clueless. I'm just glad it heated up.
    Heres some pics:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It gloooowwwss

2. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Use the glass from an old picture frame to make yourself a little window so your not always tempted to peek inside and loose your humidity. Mine is very similar to yours. Mine also has a "lamp dimmer switch" that I got cheap from Home Depot to make the bulb brighter or darker to make the temp higher/lower.You plug your lamp right into it,easy as pie. It has really come in handy! New incubators are very exciting! I have my first eggs in right now.they are 8 days old and you can see them "dancing around" inside their shells.Its awesome.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    For humidity I found out that the circumference of the water determines the rate of humidity, not the depth of the water, so put it in a bigger around dish,not a deeper one.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you can put a fan in I would. "Still Airs" are tricky. As for the humidity you have to find what works for you. Infor I have says 35% to day 16 then to 55% then 65% on day 18. However each incubator is different and the manufacturers have tested and set the standards for their own. In your case you'll have to test it and develop your own system and what works for you.

Wish you great hatching

Rancher

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I used cell-o sponges for humidity. They can be cut into small pieces so you have better control. I found that a sponge and three quarters kept my humidity pretty much where I needed it. What is the u-shaped gap at the top? You will lose a lot of humidity there I think.

When are you planning to set eggs?

And what wattage is your bulb? I'm not sure if clear makes a difference. I first tried a 60 watt bulb with a reo-stat, but I found a 25 watt bulb maintained a more stable temperature.

Jenny

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:The little u-shaped gap was for a light bulb to fit in because the cooler was inside a bigger incubator to see if we could heat it up more. I think itssss.....i dunno. 12 watt? I think. And thanks for the tips!

7. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:Yea I've heard its pretty tricky. Thank you

8. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:I'll but somethin like that in there. problem is the bottom of the thing isnt very big

9. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Maybe put a wide dish on the bottom full of water and lay chicken wire on the bottom(over the entire bottom) to make another layer. Thats how mine is [​IMG]

10. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:Good idea!!!!!

Nice job on the bator Farmgirl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by