I made hanging baby chick feeder/waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by arenea74, Feb 22, 2011.

1. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

I wanted to buy hanging feeders but they are way too big for my babies and the brooder right now. I did this instead and I love them!

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Way cool. Does the waterer leak when your filling it up? Great idea!

3. arenea74

Feb 12, 2011
    No leaking at all! I was prepared for it to leak so I was careful when filling the water. I had my DBF drill the smallest holes possible so the eye screws would hold the weight. The no leaking part is a bonus. I'm just glad to have them off the floor of the brooder and they're still a compact size. Thanks for liking them! I'm quite proud:weee

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I wonder if that would work for ducks as well. When I had ducklings in the brooder they would go through their water in a couple of minutes because they would get their bedding in it and it would wick up onto the rest of the bedding. This would solve that problem. What a great idea. Did they have to learn to reach up to drink from there?

5. arenea74

Feb 12, 2011
    I have the feeder and waterer hanging at beak level and they instantly figured it:p

...and 4 hours later, the water is still clean and not turned over!

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Very resourceful and functional. Excellent idea.

7. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Next time I'm brooding chicks I want to do this!

What are you hanging them from?

8. arenea74

Feb 12, 2011
    I have them hanging from a 2x2 placed across the top of the brooder (cage). I have some strong clamps holding the chains. It could be fancier but I am using whatever was laying around [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] LOV your idea![​IMG] [​IMG] I will be copying your great hangers, right to the clamps![​IMG] I've been searching the hardware stores, just didn't realize what I was looking for. THANK YOU![​IMG]

10. arenea74

Feb 12, 2011
    I like the clamps because it means no power tools and they're easily adjustable. [​IMG]

I just love BYC! It's us chickie lovers helping each other. I also like the positive feedback since my friends think I've lost my mind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by