I made my first Pvc run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Songster

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I made this temporary chicken tractor/run for a young rooster I had purchased but he is too young to mingle with the others yet. So I looked at pictures and decided to make my own PVC tractor...

Just wanted to show it off because I am proud! I don't build too many things with out my hubby helping and I know this is easy, even though my fingers hurt from the netting when it was all done ... Okay enough here is my pictures.

the dog house is going to be a project for some bantams eventually but for now it's his temporary home, I bought the dog house for $50 bucks on Craigslist

[​IMG]

And here's little Joey

[​IMG]

I love how light weight it is.. I am thinking I could even use this as a baby pen for the little chicks when they spend some outside play time here in a few weeks

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    That is great that you did the project yourself. [​IMG] My question would be will he be sleeping in the dog house at night. My concern would be predators. Is there a door on the dog house that I am not seeing. Racoons are very clever when they want something.

3. zookyla

zookyla In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Santa Fe, TX
    Thanks for sharing! Would something like this make a nice teenager coop, too? I've been trying to come up with some ideas for one. I also like the idea of using something like this for a chick playpen. I'm currently working on adding smaller mesh to a dog excerise pen I had from my dog showing days for that purpose.

4. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:He does sleep in the dog house at night, but I use an exercise puppy pen pushed up against it with a concrete block...

I am making a door this weekend that will be better than that but yes he is safe at night

5. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:I think it would work great, I also use to show dogs that is why I have one of those exercise pens in the background...

That is my pile of destruction when I was attempting to build something for this situation ....lol

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    [​IMG]

7. leanna1017

leanna1017 In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Very nice - I hope to do something similar to make a run in between my 2 coops.

8. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

9. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Songster

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    way to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: