1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I mAdE my HeN BroOdy!!!!!!????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amirfarmer, Jan 21, 2014.

1. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    i have a flock of chickens....i decided to make my hen broody..i took my hen and putted her in nest box with six eggs.....i placed nest box in washroom and i locked her down there.......today is her 8th day....i went to check her three times a day....food and water is also there.....when ever i checked her she was always sitting on eggs....today was the first day i saw her eating food..i got scared that she might abandoned eggs than after half an hour again i went there and i saw her in her nest sitting on eggs......today i also saw that there were seven eggs...........PEOPLE SAY THAT YOU CANT MAKE A HEN BROODY BUT I DID.......the breed of my hen is DESI HEN....found in pakistan.....I WANT to make sure that my hen is realyy hatching eggs or not......PLZXZZ TELL YOUR OPINION

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When a hen goes broody she stops laying eggs. That is a survival instinct. She does not eat much while she is broody but lives off of fat she has stored up. She does not have the nutrients and energy to spare to make eggs. She needs that energy to maintain body functions like breathing and heartbeat.

When a hen is broody, she does not poop in the nest. She holds it and comes off the nest to relieve herself. Those are usually huge stinky smelly messes.

Has she gone broody? You’ll know in a few weeks if the eggs hatch and she tries to raise the chicks.

3. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    she is doing the same. thing you said... i have seen her eating for few min and than going back to nest......today when i saw eggs the eggs were little....SHE DOESNT have all symptoms of broody but there are 80%...the WASHROOM has many big poos on them

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    no one replyy to my thread:(:(:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by