I made my own incubator. Any Advice??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazzzymike13, Nov 11, 2010.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Well I made an incubator! I even wired it myself. Question though. Do you think I should put something to block the heat away from the eggs . The tray is kinda close to the bulb. Like 2" too close. Any advice or if you think I did something wrong feel free to tell me. I won't get my feelings hurt. Maybe too big of a tray??

[​IMG]

2. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    When they are hatching, the chicks will be able to get to the bulb and get burned. They will fall out of the slanted tray.

3. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Ok need to cover the bulb and wiring with mesh wire. Thank you! You are right.

4. RibbedGiraffe

RibbedGiraffe New Egg

May 4, 2010
    If you mount the bulb in the bottom would you have enough clearance? Have you considdered making a heating element from Nichrome wire (same wire used in the cabinet style)? Takes up much less space and you can form it where you need it. What are you using to turn the rack? Are you moving it by hand?

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The eggs closest to the bulb will get hot from radiant heating off the light. Put a shield on it to block light rays from hitting the eggs directly.

6. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    To turn the eggs I have a dowel in the middle of the tray that pokes outside of the icechest. I can turn it from the outside. It's a small icechest. I may make a smaller tray. Idk Im trying out the temps to see how it does.

7. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

you did a wonderful job, all u have to do, is not put eggs in the first 2 or 3 rows closest to the bulb, and hope that ur bulb isnt strong enough to melt the edge of your plastic tray, also, on day 18, just wedge ur tray so it sits still for the eggs to hatch and maybe put you a lil wire mesh wall between the bulb and the tray. Both of my old school stackable brooders have the lights were the chicks can touch them ( i use 60 and 100 watt) and they do fine, but i wait till they are 5 days old to put them in those brooders.

8. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Do you think my thermostat is too close to the bulb??? I have a pic of it on the top of the thread.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

looks to be 6+ inches from it... looks good to me.

10. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    get a plastic egg and fill it with hair gel, put a hole in one end and put a thermometer (one similar to a meat thermometer for cooking ) in it, run the bator, watch the temp to see what it is inside that egg, this will tell you the internal temp of eggs that will be close to the bulb. you might make sure you seal the seam on the plastic egg so nothing will leak out.

i think your setup looks fine though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by