I made my Silkie broody!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KellyHM, Oct 22, 2008.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Night before last I stuck 2 eggs in my Silkie's nest, just to see if I could "make" her go broody. Yesterday she laid an egg but didn't stay on the nest. I took that egg, but left the other two just for fun. And guess what? Today she's been sitting all day long!! I didn't think you could really make a chicken go broody, but this is great! [​IMG]]

ETA: Now I'm plotting about how many more eggs I can stick under her!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, its like a game.... How many eggs can I fit under my hen... LOL !!!! Make sure she is 100% broody before putting to many under her !!!!! Good luck !!!

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    That worked nice! I've tried sometimes to trick them and it didn't work!

4. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    She's been there all day and she tries to kill my hand when I go near her! She has 2 9-wk-old chicks that she hatched and raised, so I know she's a good mommy. They were piled in on top of her to sleep tonight...I can't believe she still lets them get in there with her!

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    What kind of eggs did you use? Wooden, hollowed etc?

Someone told me that his grandfather, a farmer would make hens go broody by confining them to a bucket in such a way that they could not stand up or get out and they were forced to sit for a couple of days. He said it worked every time. They were fed and watered. It was designed to calm them down. Any one heard of this method?

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Sounds kind of mean !!!! I wouldnt want to be stuck in a bucket !!!! When a hen wants to go broody she will, if you want chicks that bad get a bator or order day olds !!!! I dont think its a good idea to stick a hen in a bucket !!!! Nature will take it's course !!!

7. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I just stuck 2 of my EE eggs that I wasn't going to use in there. I didn't confine her or anything...she just decided to sit on them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by