1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I made oatmeal for my chickens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by citygirl, Apr 7, 2009.

1. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have to say that before today I thought people were crazy for feeding oatmeal to their chickens. That was before today. I made oatmeal for my 7 hens and their roo. I put it on a cookie sheet and brought it out to the run. They acted like it was the best thing since sliced bread:D It was only 29 degrees this morning. I felt like a great mom. Thanks

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Isn't that a wonderful feeling! I have had mine now for just over a year and I still do that on cool mornings! Every time I do my son and hubby just shake their heads!! [​IMG] My answer- "Well hey, at least I feed you too!"

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Is oatmeal pretty good for the chickens or do they just like it a lot? I love feeding mine!

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    throughout the winter that has been the standard breakfast for my girls, they really love it.

I sometimes put raisins or currants in it and yogurt too.

Try spaghetti too, it is so much fun to see them running around with it.

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    My chickens love cool mornings when I bring out a big batch of warm oatmeal for them. I also add apples or something else to it and I am their best friend for life!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I heat up any pasta or rice left overs to give to them before they snuggle up at night! They love it--on cold mornings I put warm water in their waterer and give them a warm lunch for treats..Last night they had sweet potato casserole/rice/veggies/and rolls with buttter!

7. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:Did you just throw on oatmeal flakes onto the cookie sheet? Raw uncooked? just wondering. [​IMG]

8. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    I add bird seed or scratch to mine, they go crazy for it!

9. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Quote:Did you just throw on oatmeal flakes onto the cookie sheet? Raw uncooked? just wondering. [​IMG]

Cooked of course and even slightly warm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by