I made something.......*Pics!*

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by 77horses, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    A parakeet nest box!!!! [​IMG] I made it in a wood-working class at school, when I had some free time after finishing a project. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good job! [​IMG]

3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Nice work. [​IMG]

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Thanks! all I did was used one of those jigsaw cutter things to make the hole, then I used hot glue to put the wood pieces together(too thin for nails...) [​IMG] Then, I used a wood burner to make the "Welcome" above the entrance hole. I thought about painting it for decoration, but then it would probably make it toxic when the female parakeet chewed on the wood(which they always do... [​IMG] )

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    and I didn't bother sanding the wood; it has a lot of splinters, and I thought that I would leave it like that for female parakeet to chew on. [​IMG]

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Awsome!

That may be a bit to small for budgies, but a Canary or finch will love it!

7. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    looks great!!

8. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I raised parakeets, cackatiels, doves, zebra finches and the box for parakeets is surprisingly small anyway. Less than 12 inches long. The area they use as the actual nest is about 3" in diameter. Give your hen some nesting materials and she will do the rest. They are very good at raising young. I started with about 3 pair and ended up with over 200 that I just couldn't part with. I sold the rest to pet shops. I would keep my favorites and match them up with another from a different pair. When I got out of the bird business I had 100 breeding pair. I had gotten myself a pair of English parakeets and gave that a try but they are very territorial. The hens would go into a neighboring box and mutiliate the chicks.

I got rid of the murdering bunch quick.I liked them becuase they sounded like they barked instead of sang.

Anyway, good luck and ogodjob on the box. Maybe add a littlerod for a perch just at the entrance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by