I made the Newspaper!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DuckLady, Jul 30, 2007.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Or at least the Capital Press here in Oregon!
    http://capitalpress.com/

Capital Press (Salem, OR)

July 27, 2007

Bird lovers find homes for unwanted ducklings
    Domesticated poultry suffer when released into the wild to fend for themselves

Author: Patty Mamula

Section: News

Article Text:

Pet ducks sometimes face the cruelest fate. One day they're safe and dry, nestled in the warmth of a family's home. The next day they're desperate and hungry, left to fend for themselves in the wild outdoors.

"All too often, unwanted ducks and ducklings are simply dumped at parks after Easter," said Terri Lacy, a volunteer with Duck Rescue Network.

The non-profit national organization, headquartered in North Carolina, has more than 200 volunteers across the United States and Canada who work to rescue abandoned ducks and find homes for them. Contact information for the volunteers is listed on the website, www.duckrescue.org.

Lacy explained why these ducks are at such risk in the wild. Because they are domestic ducks, unlike mallards and wood ducks, they are heavy and cannot fly. They have no way to escape predators or poor conditions such as very hot or cold weather. When a pond dries up or food is scarce, they cannot adapt and are simply dependent on handouts. It's no wonder their average life span is only a year.

Lacy keeps chickens, ducks and geese on an acre in Oregon City, aptly named Lacy's Little Acre, and sells the eggs out of her home.

She became a duck rescue volunteer last year after saving a wounded one from nearby Carver Park, on the Clackamas River. She drove past the park daily on her way to work and often watched the growing population of ducks there. Soon, she began to notice one duck who was often getting picked on. It turned out that duck was the lone female in the group and assaulted regularly.

"I called several different park officials, requesting permission to take that duck home. Finally someone just said to go ahead and take it," said Lacy. "Lucky Duck was my first rescue."

Since then, Lacy has adopted several "special needs" ducks and named each one. Matilda she retrieved from a volunteer near Sacramento. Because its feet are deformed, the duck has an awkward, unbalanced walk. One of its feet is pronated inward at a 45-degree angle and the other has a slipped tendon. Both problems are due to poor nutrition when it was a duckling.

The Rescue Network moves ducks to new homes by relays. Lacy adopted two other ducks recently by a relay that started in Wellington, Nev., with 25 ducks. The first volunteer drove to Sacramento and exchanged ducks with the next volunteer, who drove them to Redding, Calif. The next stop was Roseburg, Ore., and finally Portland. New homes were found for all 25 ducks.

Of the two Lacy took, one is a white Pekin duck who walks in circles because of a vitamin deficiency.

"All white ducks you see at the parks are domestic dump ducks," said Lacy.

She took in eight Easter ducklings last month, bringing her total number of rescues to 18. Already she has found homes for four of the ducklings with a lady in Poulsbo, Wash., who maintains the largest electronic message board for poultry in the country - backyardchickens.com. In fact, she even hosts an annual event called Chickenstock, where people can get together and talk about raising chickens.

Last year, rescuers in North Carolina took in more than 200 ducks, most after Easter. The Duck Rescue website includes care and feeding tips and a hotline phone number.

Lacy has distributed flyers about the rescue organization to local feed stores and vets. She gets referrals from Coastal Farm stores, Avian Medical Center in Lake Oswego and the Gladstone Veterinary Clinic.

The organization runs classified ads through its website, Petfinders and other message boards, to find homes for the abandoned ducks.

Freelance writer Patty Mamula is based in West Linn, Ore. E-mail: [email protected].

Caption:

These eight ducklings were taken in by Terrie Lacy, an Oregon City volunteer with Duck Rescue Network, after they had outgrown their initial duckling cuteness.

Copyright, 2007, Capital Press (Salem, OR). All Rights Reserved.
    Record Number: 33943

2. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You rock!

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    [​IMG] Great article and great work you are doing!
    [​IMG]

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    WTG !! Congrats to ya, that's so cool. [​IMG]

5. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    Awesome Terrie!

It's always neat when the Capital Press reports on you... at least they can keep their story straight.

I'm an "old" Oregonian who has had more than her share of "press" when I was in the rabbit business. The best and most accurate stories were always done by the CP.

Great job! Those little ducks need all the help they can get.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful article, thanks for posting it -I hope everyone who considers getting ducklings reads it!

btw, I'm a big fan of the Duck Rescue Network -I just completed Blogathon 2007 and my chosen charity was DRN. The pledge drive isn't over yet but so far I've managed to raise over $400 -I believe payments start in a couple days! [​IMG]

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Yea!!!!!!!! That is wonderful!!!!!!!!! Love the work you do!!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder