1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I may be obsessing, but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochro, Mar 8, 2014.

1. cochro

cochro New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern Colorado
    Hi there. I am new to BYC and new to chickens. The coop is under construction, (pictures to come later), and we got our babies on Thursday. I have been reading, reading, reading about how to take care of them, but I have one who may be having trouble. She doesn't have pasty butt yet, no blockage or anything, still eating, drinking, pooping fine. She does have a little dried poo near her vent and I've been noticing her panting... the other chicks are fine though. I've raised the light to cool it off in the brooder box, but I'm beginning to think maybe this one chick is older than the others. I got them at the feed store and we were told they were 3 days old, but who knows, and this particular chick is slightly bigger and and has more feathers on her wings... Does anyone think maybe I should make the brooder box bigger so she can get away from the light more... or even make her her own box? I realize I'm obsessing about this. Also, the chicks are on medicated feed and I am going to get them some grit today...
    Thanks

2. cochro

cochro New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern Colorado
    [​IMG] This is what happened when I raised the light. All girls grouped together except for this girl... still panting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by