1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I may be overreacting, but...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lizard Lady, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    So my rooster got some frostbite on his combs during the "polar vortex" that swept through here. I did everything I could to keep the coup above dangerous temps, but alas, I failed.

The worry today is temps are currently 2 degrees with a wind chill of -12. I went out to turn on their lamp, just hoping to warm it up a few degrees (our temps have roller coastered all over the place over the past few weeks. We've gone from -12 to 60 within a few days several times). The chickens and my rooster decided to leave their coop while I was refilling their water. When I returned their water everyone except Henry the rooster returned. He was lying on a tarp I use to cover my wood. He finally stood but didn't go back to the coop. I finally went over and reached for him and he still didn't run. I ended up carrying him back to the coop. Now, he did go into the run to get a drink, but I'm just worried about his behavior. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

2. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    Anyone? Please?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Frostbite is painful. I haven't seen it yet, but moisture in the coop and lack of ventilation high up in your coop can cause it. Any moisture in the litter from droppings and water bowls can add to this. I leave water bowls in my coop since my chickens don't come outside much with snow on the ground, but it can add to moisture. Apply neosporin ointment (don't rub or massage) to the comb and wattles. They won't eat if the wattles are painful from frostbite, so you may need to coax him with scrambled egg. Here are 2 good links about frostbite:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-treat-chickens-suffering-frostbite-5294027.html?cat=53
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

4. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    The coop has ventilation up top near the roof, and the other chickens seem to be doing okay. They're all eating and drinking, and have all, including the rooster, come out of the run to peck at the ground on the warmer days. I just hope I don't lost my roo, he's my buddy! He actually follows me around, and when I sit outside he stays nearby!

5. Mardiltz

Mardiltz New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    We had a Rooster given to us just yesterday. He is a big beautiful boy with bright eyes and great posture! My worry is his comb is black at the top and he is standing on one foot. His feet are very red between his toes. We have only had chickens for almost a year, this being our first rooster. This is our first "hard" winter. Not sure how the people took care of him before us but I want to do my best for him. I put vaselene on his comb and wattle. Was that bad? All help appreciated.

6. Mardiltz

Mardiltz New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    One more thing is he keeps haking his head....not sure what tht is! Sour crop? He seems very alert, drinking and eating but like I said I dont know him yet.

7. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    It kind of sounds like he has either some kind of infection on his comb, or maybe even frost bite. I would start a different thread and see if some of the veteran chicken owners will know more about his toes. Worries me that someone gave you a possibly sick roo.

8. Mardiltz

Mardiltz New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    Thank you for your response!! He is doing much better now. I spoke with the lady tht gave Chester to us and she confirmed he had been out and prob had frostbite. We have kept Petro jelly on his comb and it is healing nicely. His feet are no longer as red so I'm thinking they were about to be in bad shape as well. Looks to be doing good now. The girls have finally taken their place as "no longer in charge" tho it was a rough few days! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by