I may be putting Buddy down...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Jan 10, 2010.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    There have been 4 fights between rescue dog "Buddy" and my GP. Buddy is in this fear-aggression mode, and even tho we do the best to keep them separated, sometimes they get into the same place at the same time. It always ends poorly for Buddy. He attacks the GP and gets the crap beat out of him. When trying to break up the fight last time, my DH and I both got a pretty big bite. Buddy was abused since he was a tiny puppy, and is now 8 yrs old. I got him in Oct. from the homeless person that owned him because he couldn't take care of his medical needs (flea infestation, infected ears, no vaccines and on and on). He's bitten 4 people (no blood until the last time) since I've had him. He's become a huge liability. Yet, when we run on the beach, he's such a happy dog. THIS SUCKS! i DON'T SEE ANY OPTIONS...
    i'LL BE BACK ONLINE TOMORROW. Any suggestions? I can't keep him at my house, and I don't feel I can trust anyone to keep their own loved ones/pets safe.
    He doesn't even look at our chickens/cats. I feel like if he could be contained in a yard w/no threats, he might be ok... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Its a hard call..he IS a liability right now..
    Sorry you have to make such a hard decision.. [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've had to make the same decision before. It stinks, but you're right, it is a HUGE liability. The way I had to look at it was... there is worse in life for a dog than being humanly put to sleep... you already saved Buddy from something worse but rescuing him from his previous owner. [​IMG]

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I think you should keep him. I wouldnt let people go bye him if he bites. This is said out of purelove for dogs. I dont have to deal wwith him everyday. So really your call. If your considering it, wait until youve moved to the piont where she is unbearable.

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    You need to put him down. You and your husband can get really seriously injured in a dog fight - not just one bite. Unless you have a lot of experience on how to handle dogs you could possibly lose fingers or get bitten in the face. At this point Buddy and yourselves would be better off if you put him down.

I know you tried to do what you thought was right and merciful, but now is the time to reconsider what may be merciful.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Need to add... my fear aggressive dog WAS contained in my backyard, however, that did not keep my neighbors' kids from climbing over a chain link fence and coming into my yard with her. The final decision maker was when I looked outside one day and saw my idiot neighbor's TWO year old daughter in my back yard, with no adult! I felt like I had a ticking time bomb out there... and I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if she had hurt a child, even if it was the child's parents' fault for not keeping their kids contained. [​IMG]

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Wow, what a very hard decision to make. I am so sorry you are stuck in this dilemma. I know times are hard for everyone with the economy like it is but the only suggestion I have is a professional trainer. If that is not in the budget, you could ask your vet if he knows of someone cheap or free to help you. Otherwise you will have to make another choice. So sorry you are having this problem. Good luck to you and Buddy.

8. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I'd go with a professional trainer.. but if money is a huge issue some no-kill shelters have people trained to deal with dogs with these sorts of issues. Ask the no-kill shelters in your area how they'd deal with a dog who was abused and is too fearful for you to deal with? Sure there's a fee when you abandon(generally) but I bet it'd be the same/cheaper than putting them to sleep.

But, I wouldn't judge you. I adopted a dog from a local no-kill shelter and he WAS a danger in the condition I got him. He was 110 ibs of uncontrollable puppy. His previous owners raised him without ANY boundaries. When I brought him home he thought he was going to be eating my food, going potty on my floor, sleeping in my bed. I spent months trying to train him but the factor that made me cave and return him - VERY dog aggressive and wasn't keen on strangers either. My mum came for a visit and he was READY and poised to attack her until he realized it was that lady he nearly killed by trying to jump on a week ago. It wasn't so much too much dog, just totally no respect for anyone or anything. Downside to adopting from no-kill shelters is unfortunately a lot of animals a kill shelter would have put down stay and get tossed around so much. He was still there last time I went and got my current dog. But.. he loves it there and the people who work there love him too. He was a dutch shep-black lab mix with great dane in there for sure. He didn't /look/ like a great dane, he looked like a lab-shep but he was BIG.

9. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My Buddy was a big black lab hound mix and his happiest days were on the beach! Or the trampoline!

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    One of the most difficult things that I have ever done was to put down an extremely affectionate JRT that we had for 10 years. Most of the time she was jjust a loving dog. However, after 7 years she started becoming very possessive and agressive. She would inititate fights with our older dog that would require one or the other needing stitches. When the incidents started becoming frequent, and she snapped at the grandkids we decided that 3 years had been long enough to try and correct the problem. Even though it has been over a year since I put her down, I still can't help but feel sad when I think of her. It was the right decision but it was still difficult. I guess if it were easy we wouldn't be the kind of people we all need to be. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by