I may have been the victim of a mixup! PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Feb 25, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Okay, so a little over a month ago I bought a dozen BR hatching eggs from a wonderful lady. At the time she tried to entice me to also purchase a dozen Dominique eggs from her daughter's flock, but I was out of room in the incubator, so I politely declined. Now, two weeks after hatch day (or so...may be closer to 3 weeks) and I have some chicks that, while barred, don't resemble my BR chicks of last year much in the face. They have no comb. Zero. And rather long faces...

I can't seem to find good pics online of dominique chicks of the same age, so I have nothing to compare to...maybe I'm just nuts...well, that goes without saying. Help! Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, just for kicks and giggles, are there any glaring genders here? I know the lightbulb in the pic may present a problem, but they all look to be the same general shade of barring in real life...but I am no expert!
    [​IMG]

2. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Those are not barred rocks. Definitely not single combed!

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:That's what I was afraid of. [​IMG]

I got the eggs for next to nothing, so no loss money-wise, but I already have a gorgeous young BR cockeral on standby waiting on his lovely ladies to mature...I was wanting purebred eggs by fall and if I have to start over, I am pushed back at least a month now...

I knew they looked odd with absolutely ZERO combs at this point, but I held out hope... [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I think they are beautiful, but I have customers who want purebred BR and customers who want purebred dominique. Not a mix of the two. Also, I just bought a dozen of each type of egg from this same lady this week, set two days ago in the incubator, and now I am at a loss because the chicks are already potentially sold but now I feel like I would be potentially deceiving the new owners! [​IMG]

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    They look like my Cuckoo Marans chicks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Thanks Kelidei, but this lady definitely had no cuckoo marans...I doubt, no offense to her, that she would even know what one was. She is a nice person but she is definitely a local egg seller who has 3 breeds: brown leghorn, BR, and RIR with a couple of NHR. Her daughter has dominiques... My chicks do resemble yours though...

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    It seems you got some Dominique chicks by mistake. And while they may not appear to have a comb, they still do; a rose comb is what it's called.

ETA: the rooster in my avatar has a rose comb if you haven't seen one before [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are Dominiques, looks like to me.

8. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Your birds definitely look like Dominiques. (I have raised both Plymouth BRs & Doms.) Why not just tell your clients about the mix-up? Dominiques are a wonderful heritage breed with nice dispositions and are good layers. Also more cold tolerant. Few people can tell them apart.

One of my poultry clients called to see if I would take a "feather picker" off their hands that they said was a Dominique. When they brought me the bird, it turned out to be a Barred Rock! (Her feather picking habits have never manifested at my farm. I think since I have plenty of space & roosters to boot, that she is no longer bored. She also gets plenty of protein....)

9. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Dom's are great birds. Very sweet and good temperament.

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Thanks for the info! I actually had a dominique hen once and so I have seen this type of comb before. I blame myself for not noticing these little guys sooner...I think I wanted my BR's so badly that I stayed away so as not to get too attached if some died or something...when I felt the danger of mortality had passed I spent more time really looking and imagine my shock! To say I am sad is putting it mildly. I have a BR hen already and she is the best egg layer I own. The dominique hen I mentioned earlier was nearly the worst I ever owned...not to say that is the rule, she was probably the exception...but just imagine the disappointment to think you are finally realizing a dream of the ideal flock just to realize now that it's either change the breed of choice or start from scratch. And I don't even know where to buy more BR eggs at locally as she is the only person to respond to my ad. Also, I can't really afford to take a chance on shipped eggs at this time.

I will have to call the seller and I dread it because I don't think she meant to do this.

Thanks all for your confirmation. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by