1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I may have broke my baby chick's leg! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meags163, Jul 10, 2011.

1. meags163

meags163 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    I feel so awful....my hen hatched 2 adorable chicks a little over a week ago and I'm keeping them in a big dog cage on our porch. I wanted to clean it out and give them some outside time today so I took the tray out and put the cage on the grass so they could peck and still be protected. I am so stupid and moved the cage while they were in it and one of the chick's legs got stuck under the grate on the bottom. She now is hopping around on one leg and resting as much as possible. I'm not sure if I should try to help her out or let it heal on its own? I don't think I should separate her because the other chick and mom aren't bothering her and she is happier with them. She can hop over to the water and food but is mostly laying down. I saw it stretch the leg out a few minutes ago. Does anyone have any advice?

2. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
  3. meags163

meags163 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    Great website...thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by