I may have found the perfect dog...

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've been thinking about adopting a dog since I moved into an apartment that allowed them, but the first year of vet school is never a good time to acquire animals. I waited and waited, but as soon as I got back from my internship over the summer, my mom came with me to a local shelter. We weren't expecting to find a dog that day, especially since I needed something that would work in an apartment, with short hair, and good with cats and dogs.

We saw all the dogs and ended spending a lot of time with a dog named Daisy. She seemed perfect. The animal control officer was even willing to let me do a "trial" run to make sure she was a good fit.

They dropped her off at the vet school yesterday, since a load of dogs were coming in for spay neuter. She's been settling in, but acting like she's been here forever. She really has been amazing. I'm bringing her to be tested for heartworm and if that comes back clear, she will most likely have a forever home here.

Introducing the newly named Sienna!

Last edited:
Judging by her teeth, we are thinking about two. She has the most pristine teeth I've ever seen on a dog! She has the personality of an old dog though, except when she plays! She definitely had a litter of puppies before she ended up at a kill shelter. The next shelter rescued her right before she was due to be euthanized and she was spayed in June.

What a lovely dog!

About 6 years ago we found ourselves taking in a beautiful blue tick beagle. She was a year and a half old and the previous owners had to 'give her up' because they had a new baby. What they neglected to state was that they had other dogs and that our new pet was 4 weeks along. Our boys were so very much in love with her within just the day of us having her. Well mannered, bright and wonderful dog. I couldn't have asked for a better dog. Her temperament was and still remains just so very docile and sweet. We took her in and got her all checked out and decided to make the 'unexpected surprise' into something the boys could learn about. About 3 weeks later, she had 8 pups.. was a wonderful mom and was still quiet affectionate to our boys even then. On a couple of occasions we found our then 2 year old in with mama and babies. At first we were alarmed, but she just licked him as if she was introducing them to him.

They learned about so much.. especially how messy babies can be. lol We found homes for all the pups, asking for donation for raising the pups to 10 weeks old, wormed and needled and all those fun first things you need to do for pups. And with the money we used it to go towards her being spayed. Most people that decided to get a puppy traveled 1 and a half hours away just to come visit the pups on weekends to see their pup as it grew. I documented every pup and sent emails out once a week with weights and other measurements. It was an amazing experience. Dad was a pure boxer, mom a pure beagle. The pups were adorable.

There is something to be said for the love you can find unexpectedly when it comes to a pet that is meant for you. It was by chance that we came across our 'Bailey'. Not one moment have we regretted it. I wouldn't have changed a thing.. even her having pups.

What a sweet story Sandesnow! I'm glad she found you and your boys! Sounds like she is living a good life!

I had been looking on petfinder for dogs at local shelters. I actually passed right over Sienna's picture because it said "hound mix" and I've never really been a hound person. Even at the shelter, she was kind of plain and wasn't the first dog I ran to! There was actually another dog there who I wanted to see, but even though she was a sweet dog, there were just too many things that wouldn't work for my situation. We ended up spending almost half the day with Sienna and she was just such a sweet dog. I've only had her two days and I'm already attached. I'm just crossing my fingers the heartworm test comes back negative! (Though that's usually not an issue in NY state) She's also good with most other dogs and they cat tested her while I was at the shelter. She was actually afraid of the cats. She is the only pet right now in the apartment, but my parents have a cat and dog. Since she will be coming home with me during holidays, it was important she get along with everybody! The fact that she is good in the crate is a huge plus though. It gives me peace of mind when I have to leave her at the apartment!

We went for a walk and she was so tired when we came back that she just plopped on the floor! She sleeps goofy like a Labrador with her legs all splayed out.

She's too cute:) My neighbor's bulldog sleeps like that, we call it "frog style".

I am currently in love with (and probably soon getting) an australian or german shepherd.

I am currently in love with (and probably soon getting) an australian or german shepherd.

Oh Thank you! I am sooo tired of sheppard, shephard, shepard and all the other misspellings that can be found on Craigs List, etc. Especially when it's a "breeder" that can't even spell their own breed. Shepherds herd sheep, or sheps, but they herd them!

Back
Top Bottom