I may have intervened too soon in a hatch - i want to know if the chick might surive?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sjturner79, Mar 5, 2015.

1. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    HI, I have been reading up on hatching chickens for a while , so when our chicken that pipped on day 23 still had not emerged 48 later, although another hatched straight out,I though i would try and help. the eggs broke away fairly easily and the chick slid out of the membrane as i started. The intestines or something are still in a little ball between its legs, and it did not move at all. I don't know if it is asleep at min or already dead. I wrapped it in a wet tissue and put it back in the incubator. Is there anything else i should do ?

How do i tell if s chick in this state is already dead ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Is there anyone who can suggest how to tell if the little black chick curled up in my incubator is still alive?

3. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    [​IMG]. I took it out of the incubator and it defintly dead I think it may have been before I tried to help it. Probably because it piped down into the floor of the bator and was then moved around vilointlty by it successful nest mate

4. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Can anyone tell if it might have had a better chance if I had tried to help sooner?

5. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I don't have much hatching experience, but to my knowledge of what people have told me, the chick probably would have been too weak to survive even if you had helped earlier. It's an unfortunate reality, but it happens sometimes. I really don't think you are at fault for this chick's death, it just happened
    Sorry for the loss, I hope that helps!

6. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Its yolk appears to be absorbed and its belly button is closed. I'd say it may have been helped too soon, but I am relatively new to hatching. It is possible it was just not going to make it either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by