I may have jumped the gun...need some positive words

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Jul 14, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    [​IMG]I have some Silver Appleyards in the incubator. When I 1st thought I wanted ducks, I looked to see which duck was on the endangerd list, and I picked what I thought would fit in our lives, but now I've seen so many beautiful ducks, I'm second guessing. Too late now, but can someone bolster my decision??? I need to hear that they were the right choice!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Appleyards, yeah!

I considered them, though I went with runner ducks, partly because the Appleyards are endangered, partly because they are just so lovely! There is something soothing about just looking at them. They don't look like the typical Easter duck, they lay good sized eggs, and are a nice size for a duck - not too heavy, not too light.

Imagine them in a few weeks taking peas from your hands, chatting away with you. Think of how you will feel holding your first Appleyard egg laid from your own flock! If you plan to breed them, imagine seeing that next generation coming along, knowing you helped them get this far.

There are many lovely breeds, but I seriously doubt you will have a moment's regret once those babies have hatched and are peeping in your hands.
    [​IMG]

I reckon you will hear from other Appleyard keepers on the forum. Good for you for choosing a breed that could use some help!

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Trust me, you'll be happy with any ducks you get...they are all awesome. Once, you have that first little duckling hatch, you will realize there is no way you will be able to give them away [​IMG]

4. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    AAhhhhhhh, thanks! That was just what I needed. Internel crisis over.[​IMG]

5. ottodog

ottodog Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
    That's funny, I just set 6 Appleyards yesterday. [​IMG] Where did you get yours from?

6. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    jeez, you have to ask a trick question! I found some on ebay, the web site is naturesaddition.com I was SHOCKED when I saw the size of the eggs. I'm used to teeny little quail eggs! It may take a while before I am brave enough to fry one up! I'm getting worried about the mess level. Good thing I have enough time to get a proper play area set up for them.

My other fear is I only wanted about 3. I figured on having a pretty poor hatch rate (I should say I counted on a poor hatch rate) due to this being my 1st time hatching ducks and I'm using a turner. But she sent me 18 eggs!!! Holy cow! I have one friend that has said she will take one, but OMG!!! What if I get an AWESOME hatch rate??? Mu DH said no problem, we'll just have more for freezer camp, but he is used to quail getting to size in 7 weeks. I think it will be a bit longer for ducks, no?

If I seem nervous now, can you imagine what I was like before I pushed out my 1st child???

7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are very pretty ducks. I think you will be happy with them too. If I could get another kind that would be the kind I'd get, but I live in town and can only have so many. I have runners and they are messy - but I love them so much I don't care. Spend a lot of time with them when they are small and they should be very friendly.

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I have added Silver Appleyard Calls to my group here, and I have to say I am happy with them so far...they are only a couple of weeks old but they are calmer than the other baby Calls and a good influence on the group. They don't take a scare as readily as other ducklings do.

9. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I LOVE my Appleyards. Big, loud, comical, friendly ducks. And great layers. You'll love them. Not to mention, the fact that you hatched them yourself will make them even more special. You made a good choice.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:This is what I was gonna say. I have runners, calls, mandarins, muscovies, khakis and I love all of them! Ducks are just fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by