I may have to dispatch my first chicken :(

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MeatKing, May 29, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this may sound strange but I have never directly killed anything before in my life. But It appears I may have a lame cornish X. She hasn't moved in 24 hours, even when I changed their bedding. I picked her up, she never even tried to run away. Any thoughts on how I should do this? The easiest way ever... I'm in tears thinking about it, and my dh is out've town. That leaves me to do it. i'm not going to eat it, just put it out've it's miseary.
    Thanks everyone

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

The best way I've found is to cut off the head with an axe and then put the body under a bucket so it doesn't flap around and make a mess.
    if it's a Cornish cross how old is it? Could it have gotten too heavy for its legs?

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I agree chop .. it sounds awful but it truly is the best for you and the animal....

4. MeatKing

They are 6 weeks old. She may have gotten too heavy for her legs...? I'm still really new to this. I just noticed the night I put new shavings in, she never ran away from me. Then the next morning she was in the same spot (maybe off by a foot) I also noticed when I brought in the food, all the other chickens walked all over her. I just put her in a pen by herself. Is this culling her the best thing to do right now? or should I give her a day, in a pen by herself? Maybe she will improve by herslef with her own water/food?

PS.. I've never seen a chicken be killed. I have never chopped fire wood... So shall I be the one to do this, it may get ugly.

Thanks everyone for your help

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Ummm, what are you plans for the rest of your meat birds? Is Mister going to process them or are you taking them to a processor? I certainly understand how difficult it is to dispatch your first meat birds, especially if it's not at all in your sphere of experience. But if you're going to keep chickens, especially meat birds, you'll have to have a plan for ending the misery of any ill or injured birds. Do you have an experienced friend or neighbor who could help you now?

Otherwise, if it won't be long before Mister returns home, perhaps you could just keep this one confined & comfortable, out of the way of the others until he's back. If she's just lamed, something that often happens to these fast-growing meaties, she should still be good for the table. That way her life counts for something & isn't wasted.

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Totally your call ; and if you decide to wait for the husband to get home the bird will probably be OK now that it isn't being walked on . Give it water and feed in low containers very close to it , they seem to go right on wanting to eat and grow even when their legs fail . I've got a runt that went down over a week ago . Since its a runt and this happened at 3 weeks it might be very different than yours ; however mine is back up now though very unstable on its legs . I just make sure to scatter a lot of feed on the ground so it doesn't get jostled around at the feeder now that they're outside . It staggers over , sits down and eats , and goes to the water by itself . When full it stays off to the edge in low traffic areas but goes to the group huddle for warmth at night . I intend to process it if it makes it to a couple of pounds .

7. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    I agree with others. You can seperate and wait and this bird should make it until your husband get back. Good luck.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    . . . your name is meatking????

9. MeatKing

Thank-you everyone who replied.
    Ummm, what are you plans for the rest of your meat birds? Is Mister going to process them or are you taking them to a processor? I certainly understand how difficult it is to dispatch your first meat birds, especially if it's not at all in your sphere of experience. But if you're going to keep chickens, especially meat birds, you'll have to have a plan for ending the misery of any ill or injured birds. Do you have an experienced friend or neighbor who could help you now?

They are going to a procceser. you right, I do need to learn how to do this. If I am going to keep chickens. Hubby won't be home for a few weeks. I don't think I can wait that long with her. I have a friend that will probley come help me. I left her a message, yesterday.

Totally your call ; and if you decide to wait for the husband to get home the bird will probably be OK now that it isn't being walked on . Give it water and feed in low containers very close to it , they seem to go right on wanting to eat and grow even when their legs fail . I've got a runt that went down over a week ago . Since its a runt and this happened at 3 weeks it might be very different than yours ; however mine is back up now though very unstable on its legs . I just make sure to scatter a lot of feed on the ground so it doesn't get jostled around at the feeder now that they're outside . It staggers over , sits down and eats , and goes to the water by itself . When full it stays off to the edge in low traffic areas but goes to the group huddle for warmth at night . I intend to process it if it makes it to a couple of pounds .

Maybe mine will come around like this now:fl

. . . your name is meatking????

This is what my inlaws called Cornish X years ago, When I registered for BYC it was the only thing I new about chickens.​

10. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Steel yourself to do the deed.

No need to waste the bird, as the remainder of the processing is really very easy once you put your mind to it.

For one bird I would just skin the breast and legs, and take the breasts and legs/thighs off.

Age in the fridge for a couple of days and enjoy a well deserved meal.

Take this as encouragement [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by