I may have to Dub him? Poor Guy!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shellybean40, Jul 11, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I am not sure if this is the right place for this question, maybe I will also post in injuries. I have a mixed breed Rooster who is around 12 weeks old. He has the oddest comb, which is so large and heavy, it droops over one of his eyes. He is always shaking his head trying to get it out of the way. Poor guy, it completely obstructs his vision on the one side. i have heard of dubbing, which is triming the comb down, but I would hate to do it. Anyone have any suggestions????

2. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any pics?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    When they dub, they just remove the tips of the comb. It may or may not help with his floppy comb. Alot of breeds have combs that are so large the hang off to one side or the other (leghorn). Could you post some pics? Its it possible he's shaking his head to keep to biting bugs off his oversized comb? Good luck!

4. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Sure
    I've seen it done a million times. Don't lose any sleep over it.
    Remeber; pain is temporary and chicks dig scars !

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    he is probably fine [​IMG] lots of chickens have large combs like that. dub if you want to, but it does seem a little drastic. i'm sure he is used to having that big comb by now.

6. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Unless it's causing him serious problems, like causing him to be unable to find his food, water, or causing him to bump into things, I'd leave it alone. IMO, your rooster has a natural vision obscurring do (aka 'emo hair', or comb in this case), and he's probably just doing a sexy comb flip for the ladies. [​IMG]

7. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I know, I keep saying DUUUUUUDE! when he walks by. I want to change his name, but my daughter's don't. I think Dude is cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by