I may have to give up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unbaked pegga, Apr 6, 2017.

1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I have had chickens for 3 years. They are my pets and I have gotten extremely attached to them. I presently have five Orpington hens ranging in age from one year to three years. I have one that has chronic respiratory infection, that she somehow contacted last year. Now they all have had it. It tends to recur in times of stress such as molting, extreme heat etc. I do not eat their eggs, they are strictly pets. They have had diahrrea for a while now. I treated them with probiotics, but they still have it. The oldest hen who is my favorite, started acting listless, disinterested, not eating quite as well and staying away from the flock about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I put off buying my car tags to take her to the vet. He said she was infested with lice and gave her meds which I also gave to the other 4. He said she had a fever (107) and he gave her an anti inflammatory medicine orally which I continued for 4 more days. He said she had respiratory "issues" and he checked her for avian flu (test was negative) he sent home oral antibiotics which I gave for 7 days. I thought I saw some improvement but in the last few days she has started acting blah again. The 1 year old hens are really aggressive when I give treats and I thought at first something like that could be bothering her but she is the alpha hen but not as dominant as she once was. The other 4 hens seem fine (except for diarrhea) they have good appetites and are active. I clean the coop and run every day and they get fresh water every day. I am getting where I hate to go in the back yard because of fretting over her, that she will die etc. I don't know what else I can do except to have a wait and see attitude because I can't afford another vet bill like this one. I also don't know what to do for the diarrhea in the others. I stopped giving any treats at all today thinking that will help. Just don't know what to do. I hate to give up on this wonderful hobby. I always thought chickens were a hardy nearly indestructible little farm animal

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chronic respiratory issues can be a nightmare to cope with. I hope that your current courses of action help to manage the situation. Keeping infected birds can be a downward spiral. I had the same problem a couple of years ago, and i chose not to cull the flock and start again. It's taken me those 2 years to get rid of the issue (including vaccination regimes). If i had my time again, I would have made a different decision. I'm simply sharing my experience and not making any suggestions - we all have different ways of doing things.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Respiratory diseases are nasty and never actually go away, as you are seeing. I'm thinking you're probably dealing with mycoplasma since you didn't mention a bad smell. That can come in from multiple sources - a new chicken, mice and rats, even wild birds.

Since yours are pets, if you don't mind keeping a closed flock until they die, you could treat them with Denagard. You don't need to go to a vet for it. It's very potent against mycoplasma. The best thing is along with giving it to treat at active flare up, you can also give them a preventative dose once a month to keep them from having a flare up that month.

They'll always have it until they die, but at least that way you'd be able to keep them from having symptoms. You will need to do something like Denagard, because probiotics do not treat bacteria, so that's not going to do anything for what they have.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    X2 What Chris and Pyxis said...

Amazon has cheapest price for Denagard, including shipping... also, did the vet do a fecal sample along with the AI test? Diarrhea, especially foamy/yellowish poops, *could be* indicative of worms... since they're pets, couldn't hurt to run a broad spectrum dewormer on them as well, like Safeguard or Valbazen... hope she pulls through for you...

1 person likes this.
  5. unbaked pegga

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have been down about this for a couple of weeks now. Perhaps there is hope. I did not find Denagard at Amazon, however I did find it online and ordered it. If I can get everybody to feeling better I won't dread going to let them out of the coop

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    X2 on the fecal/worming. Runny poo's would be a symptom, and if she is carrying a load of worms it would weaken her immune system more and make the respiratory issues worse.
    Hope she gets better.

7. unbaked pegga

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I ordered Dengard Friday. Amazon didn't have it so I ordered it from a farm supply company. Thanks for the info[​IMG]

8. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Hi, what do you use for flooring in their run? Does it get overly dirty or muddy? Do they forage around in compost a lot?

This video says they cured a respiratory problem with "VetRx" although I don't have experience with it myself maybe it could help?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    VetRX won't cure anything, it's the chicken version of Vicks VapoRub... :)

10. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Darn are you sure? Some of the reviews seem quite promising, I was gonna try it for a hen that I have with breathing problems

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by