I may of cooked the eggs...GOOD NEWS UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minihorse927, Nov 18, 2010.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Well I came home from work today and for some reason my incubator had jumped to 103.5. I checked it at 10:30 this morning before I left and it was running 98.5-99.9 was the highest I seen it go and then I came home to that spike. I do not know how long it was that high but it could have been anytime after 10:30am till 10:00 pm when I got home. I think I may have fried some poor chickies. I hope not I was so excited to hatch these out! Is there any hope for the poor chickies? They are only 2 days into incubating.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, there's definitely hope. You can candle them in about a week and make sure they're still developing. I have a feeling they'll be fine. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Temps fluctuate for the first week in my experience. Though I have only had mine spike to 102. I now have it at a level 101, which mean I will have an early hatch..... I have turned the temp down far enough, but my DH keeps turning the heater on!!!!!

4. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Well I candled the eggs today and all are candling right on schedule except for one which looks clear but I thought I might see a vein or two, not sure. I figured I would give it a few more days and see what happens. Apparently I did not cook them! The one that is candling clear is the closest to the electrical part that controls the temp though. Wonder if that has something to do with it being clear...

5. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:My temps also stayed at about 101 for a while and now we have an early hatcher. He's two day early. What are the odds on early hatchers surviving? Are they completely developed at 2 days early? I'm afraid at this point he's given up....

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    What kind of bators are you using?mine is a still air LG so I have it set to 101 per recommended temp.

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Probably just one that didn't develop. Glad to hear that the rest are doing well! Congratulations!

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:My temps also stayed at about 101 for a while and now we have an early hatcher. He's two day early. What are the odds on early hatchers surviving? Are they completely developed at 2 days early? I'm afraid at this point he's given up....

They are fine. They just developed faster because of the increase heat. I have a feeling mine will be hatching at least a day early.

9. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I removed the egg that candled clear and cracked it open, nothing inside of it...
    Can't complain for 8 out of 9 coming along nicely so far! Can not wait till the 7th of december!!!

10. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I went ahead and candled them again tonight just because last night I candled them and seen them developing but there was no movement. It worried me all day but tonight the little things were moving all over the place! Those are the most active embryos I ever seen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by